Monday, February 04, 2013

Day the Penny Died

Woke up to find out that our Canadian Penny is now defunct. As of now retailers will round up or down unless paying by debit. The bank will not issue pennies anymore. This is due to budget cuts as each Penny costs 1.6 cents to make due to copper/zinc prices (sometimes making a copper penny up to 4 cents in worth).

The only bafflement is how can the Treasury afford to change the face of the quarter so often (eight more this year), making Olympic Quarters and province quarters, etc as there are 510 types of commemorative quarters. And lest you think whoever designs there is ‘hip’ to fashion, the winter Olympics quarters had the Paralympics represented by a single quarter: wheelchair curling.
Lets face it, low on 'cool' compared to snowboarding, figure skating or speed skating, thus it isn’t quite as collectable.
Oh wait, AFTER the Olympics finished they made a quarter for Sledge Hockey (anyone seen one?).

I do think the red and silver ‘Santa’ quarter is cool, simply from a design point of view.
And of the 2012 Quarters, I would like to get the 2012 Orca that is coloured blue in Native Design (6 million produced).


The Canadian Mint also puts out colourized quarters on Canada Day to attract younger collectors. And in 2011 they started doing special sets for Births, Toothfairies, Birthdays and such.

"Look Janey, the toothfairy kept your tooth and left this lovely collectors set from the Royal Canadian Mint." Hmmm, doesn't really rock it for me.

Japanese tradition is to throw them on the roof to help your teeth grow in straight (same tradition in Togo and Sri Lanka). Oddly, in France, the old tradition is money for tooth under pillow, but that is traded by a mouse that crawls under your pillow at night (from 17th century La Bonne Petite Souris). I think telling me at age seven that a mouse was coming in bed would have kept me up all night with a hammer.

Bye-bye Canadian penny, including those 14 pennies I swallowed at age three, screamed because I thought I might explode if they didn't digest and then told my Nana that a giant had come through the window and forced me to swallow them.

I even remember when the penny was 12 sided (1982-1996).

10 comments:

JaneB said...

Bye bye penny! I love those colourised coins, wonder how I can get hold of some...

Elizabeth McClung said...

You can't seem to buy them, except as collection - but can get them back as change. I think if you knew someone at the bank, they might get one - there was a promo for making a collection card, but the online requests overwhelmed them, and now only going to a Royal Mint concession can get you one. With only 6 million printed (compared to the 20 million for each olympic sport - seen oft, or the breast cancer quarter - with a pink ribbon centre, which I have, that was 12,000,000) - the chances of getting one in change in a country of 33 million is less likely. If I get two, I'll send you one - must go to ask the bank.

Anonymous said...

Cheryl here ...

Hmmm, I wonder if the bank will take all these Canada pennies from me in exchange for an orca quarter.

Neil said...

Cheryl: I'm sure that if you offer them a thousand pennies, they might be a le to scrounge up one Orca quarter for you. :)

Neil said...

My dear friend Beth: I have found some of those quarters in my change, including the yellw bird (Hawk? Falcon?). And I have at least one penny for every year going back to 1938. I even found a 1953 nickel in my change on the weekend. I admit that I will miss the penny, but not the weight of the darned things. Better yet would be ditching the dollar coin and going to polymer dollar bill, that's not gonna happen...

On the other hand, I see the Royal Canadian Mint is going to offer a 10kg gold coin with a face value of $100,000. They're planning to make 15 of them so get your order in soon! Oh, that's sarcasm, by the way. :)

It's good to see your words, dear. I hope you are surviving without too much pain. And I REALLY hope Lindas is working at a job that's worth her talents.

Love and zen hugs to you both,
Neil

Kate J said...

I've got a few of those old 12-sided Canadian pennies! Haven't seen the 'orca quarter' but I'd like to. I do have some of the 'olympic' coins...

Now they're talking about getting rid of the British penny too, possibly. It's worth a little more than the Canadian one, I guess, but not a lot. If they do, it'll hit charities hard, as people get the pennies in change and pop them straight into the charity box at the checkout - I work in a shop and see it happen all the time. I expect it's the same in Canada?
Love & peace to you and Linda

JaneB said...

Ooh yes please! I don't particularly want Olympic money - keep getting it here too, of course, since the whole mess was in London last year - but animals are different! I have a nice little collection of animal coins from Canada from when I was there in the 90s...

GirlWithTheCane said...

If you've still got pennies, I think that the bank will still buy them back.

I always get excited about saving the collectible quarters as I get them at first...then I run out of quarters for laundry and decide that I don't care so much...

Linda McClung said...

Linda here...
Those coloured quarters look really cool. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for them in my change.

Beth, I didn't realize there were so many types of quarters out there. That's amazing. I like how you find interesting things to share with us.

Neil, SK must have gotten our share of quarters. No one at my office has mentioned receiving one. I just recently got one with Brock on one side - and that was put out last year to commemorate the War of 1812.

Girlwithcane: Me too. I have great intentions to build a collection, but then if I'm really deperate for laundry money I'll use up my doubles. Not too much of an issue now because our laundry machines now only take loonies and they don't change as often.

Anonymous said...

hug
somehow "a debit for your thoughts just doesnt sound as good..'

hugs
Jill