Thursday, August 23, 2012

'The Cabinet of Unearthly Delights' and part 2 of Moss Street Art 2012

Recovering from a lingering fever, now that the heat is down enough to allow me to sleep, I thought I would do part II/2 of the Moss Street Art Fair from 2012. A month ago, that was the day that it was announced as the ‘hottest summer for 30 years.’ Since then, it has been unrelenting, often 27 C at 10 pm (mid 80’s), and last week going into the 30’s every day, so the apartment is only now cooling off.

So back before Olympics stole the viewing time and heat the ability to go outdoors, the moss street market was my big outing in INDY. One of the things I enjoyed about the Moss Street Art Fair was the diversity of the mediums, which included a full installation of a canvas tent and wooden box and three legged stool with a sign reading ‘The Mend is Nigh’. Here is an artist who paints birds and goldfish with Sakura blossoms but on wood instead of canvas.

My favorite piece was by Horst G Loewel, which I called ‘The Cabinet of Unearthly Delights’, and reminds me of the Atlas of Borges, a visualization of the imagination
(If you want an interesting book, the Argentine writer Borges, who became blind in old age, wrote an ‘Atlas of the World’ filled with his travels with a companion who wrote his dictation – of a piazza and fountain in Rome, or sitting by the water in Venice – HIS Atlas of the World, as experienced by a blind writer).

This artist painted with airbrush.
She was present, and demonstrating different airbrush techniques by using a model and airbrushing them as a demonstration art exhibit. You can see her working on his feet. Diversity, yes?

Here is a very Canadian picture, the ice of Labrador, or the ice bergs that float in summer into the coves of St. John’s.

I talked to an artist Tad Suzuki who was from Tokyo, Japan but now he lived and traveled North America, painting only urban landscapes.
For those of us who grew up in the urban environment, whether the small town, or New York, he paints it, often without people, those late evening lull or rush hour traffic experiences. This painting looked like it was painted in Port Angeles, but is actually from California. I guess the wash and dry Laundromat along with parked cars, left over snow and some empty stores with awnings is a Canada/USA experience, which isn’t fixed in location. After so many hours in my life at laundromats watching laundry going round the dryer, then folding one of the best parts of the UK was dropping off the laundry and having them charge 80 pence a bag to do it, then picking it up on the way home.

For me, art is like poetry, it is something that I like to experience in diversity, even if I don’t like it all. Art and poetry are needed, not in the way food might be, but in order to have a life beyond survival, giving existence that added depth.

6 comments:

Linda McClung said...

I am very relieved that the temperature has cooled down and the air conditioners are now winnng the battle. It feels so good when it cools off at night. I like being able to sleep with the window open.

Thanks for putting up more photos. I like the unearthly painting the best too, even though I'm not a fan of the fantastical. It had beautiful colours and the fact that he painted a cupboard was very reminiscent of the art we saw in museums/galleries in Europe from centuries ago.

We had a laundromat in my hometown too, and it looked similar to this one. I guess they tend to be long buildings with no windows as the machines are usually lined up against the walls.

I also really liked the fact that the laundrette (as they call them in Wales) did the laundry for us for almost nothing extra. Cool!

Neil said...

I'm happy that it's cooler for you. It's also much cooler here, which I don't mind, except that there are also yellow leaves on the ground already. Signs of the winter to come. :(

The art looks wonderful! And the fellow being painted looks totally awesome. I'd be happy to be painted like that if I had the body for it.

I've seen laundromats like that in Regina, Moose Jaw, and Coronach, Saskatchewan. Their function is simple, as is their form.

Love and zen hugs,
Neil

Neil said...

Ahoy, Beth and Linda! There's a cartoon called Piled Higher and Deeper; it's about the trials and tribulations of life as a PhD student, and today's instalment features a 16-minute video of a trip to Hawaii to see LAVA. The video's at http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php.

The video reminded me of your Hawaiian trip, and as I watched the closeup shots of lava, I'm even more impressed that you got where you did.

PhD Comics just proves that Beth is even more awesome than we can imagine! :)

Love and zen hugs,
Neil

SharonMV said...

We've had a heatwave here too. Seems like it's been going on forever. It's supposed to cool down this week.

Thanks for part 2 on the art fair. Loved the paintings on wood and the world in the cupboard.

Sent you something a few days ago, it should arrive soon.

Love, Sharon

JaneB said...

souls need feeding too!

Hope heat wave now GONE FOR THE YEAR!

Raccoon said...

Yay! INDY gets a workout! I'm sorry that the temperatures are so warm for you.

I think my favorite two pictures are the airbrushing. The first looked pretty, the second seemed a depiction of a shaman, which I liked as well.

Most of the laundromats that I've seen generally have at least one wall that is Windows.