Friday, August 03, 2012

A sorbet of film to cleanse the Olympic heavy palate

For those tired of the Games, or just the Olympic hoopla or competition between nations using people as pawns, I have two rather obscure film recommendations. With the Olympics, it is odd how close vanity and nationalism can get at times, and how cruel that can be to those involved. Particularly when some poor woman who spent hours a day in training, is crying on live TV, apologizing to all the people watching having just found out she was .01 of a second too slow in the semi-finals to make the finals.

Linda and I had a friend in Wales and she practiced her Judo hours a day, won the national titles, while doing her doctorate. I rooted for Ruta Meilutyte, from the tiny Lithuania, who had just turned 15 before the Olympics.
Her father moved to the UK to get work, and is a disability care attendant. The nation of Lithuania had never gotten an Olympic medal in swimming. Her father gave his ticket to Ruta’s grandmother, who raised her until two years ago when she got a scholarship into a school, Plymouth, for elite swimmers in the UK. Ruta was entered to come to see what international competition was like, was ignored by all the commentators and ended up winning the 100m breaststroke. Joining Ruta's grandmother in the stands was the president of Lithuania. After she won, back home, the local bar named a drink the Ruta, which her brother drank free all night. Ruta won’t be old enough to drink until the next Olympics. Each person has a story, and in the end they are just people. Ruta went out and had ice cream after winning, as for as an elite swimmer pre-tournament, she had not had any for a long time.

On to the films:

The Sound of Noise is a tongue in cheek highly rated and award winning film about a woman, Sanna who leads a musical art movement, which is ‘beyond the law.’ Warnebring is a detective for high profile cases, and a total disappointment to his family of musicians for being tone deaf. Sanna’s friend writes a script using the city as music art and mayhem, six percussionists required. Warnebring is both attracted to the idea of music beyond the structure his family worships (like using medical equipment as instruments), but also desperate to stop them, and just stop the NOISE! It manages to mock avante-guard music while displaying it in a popular medium, as well as the idea of there being music for everyone, even if that happens to be silence. It is two years old, but only premiered in the US a couple months ago. The Sound of Noise DVDout last week.


And for the ‘other Britian’, the urban landscapes and block towers with ‘bad boys’ of age nine trying to go around being called Mayhem, there is the film Attack the Block. It is just your typical teenage lads on Guy Fawks, dissing, jacking a woman, and doing a kick down when some thing start coming down instead of up. Yes, Aliens have invaded South London, and knowing that 5-0, the fuzz will charge them with whatever the monsters do, our gang of six lads, two tyke wannabe’s, a nurse, the king pot dealer and his upper middle class client face off the Alien invasion. Having some knowledge of London slang would help (though there is more cockney slang in New Tricks) as this is a typical sentence:‘Yo, dem tings is beyond, bang, bang, bang, believe!’ Though there are subtitles, if you don’t ‘feel it, man.’ By the makers of Shaun of the Dead.


It is a long weekend here in Canada, with a NEW long weekend coming next year, according to Linda the Oracle.

6 comments:

Tanya said...

Hi, ¿how have you been doing? I guess you don´t remember me, as I wrote to you many months ago. I aslo have MSA, am 38 y. old. Although mine is not as advanced. I understand the pain you are in, even if I don´t feel it all the time. It is hard, I know. I was supposed to be so much sicker by now, that sometimes I feel like I am sort of "letting them down". I am at a spot where dying becomes kind of an obligation. This disease is so strange, that many people, formerly very close to me, actually don´t believe I am ill, and now I know they are saying "but she was supposed to be in a wheelchair by now, maybe she is just making it up". And even if I know that that is not what´s important, the truth is I feel uncomfortable about it. I personally, don´t fear death as much as the road that will take me there. But reading your blog is one of the things that I enjoy a lot and do aften. I wish you luck and hope you hace at least a few good days.

Elizabeth McClung said...

Hey Tanya, I know what you mean. It seems like things are going to degenerate in one way, then just suddenly stop and things go another way; high blood pressure with nose bleeds for weeks just stop and the TIA's with them, only the eye starts to go dark inside. And often when people think 'oh, you're getting better' or 'getting new treatment?' because that is a good day or week, it is easier to mumble something than try to explain that autonomic diseases are so wierd and wild no one really knows what a 'typical progression' looks like - especially if you are not 80 years old.

I used to fear the road, thinking I could see where it was going. Now, I am glad I did so much, though it is often hard for others not to expect that same level of energy as externally, that no-sweating thing makes a gal look pretty healthy. Now I am scared of how it will go, or rather how long my body will keep my alive when I am too tired to be functional, but still awake for the overheating, the pain and the icky stuff.

Stay as fit as you can, it seems to be the best defence against degeneration - or it has for me. Thanks, I'll keep writing as oft as possible.

GirlWithTheCane said...

I will check out your movies. I have no interest in the Olympics anymore. It sickens me to see how you're being treated now that the Olympics put your province in the poorhouse, and to see London put out so much money when people with disabilities are killing themselves over the austerity cuts is sickening as well.

Sorry. You got my Olympics rant for the day...

I'm sorry I haven't been here. The last 10 days or so have been kind of intense. Things are settling down now. I've been thinking of you.

Much love,

Sarah

Linda McClung said...

I've enjoyed watching the Olympics with you on the computer. Everyone has a story and I agree that sometimes the people are lost the in the competition between countries. I sure could feel for some of the athletes who didn't quite make where they wanted to place.

That last trailer looks interesting. Did you enjoy the movie. My favourite character from the trailer is the big guy with the long hair. Almost makes me want to watch even though I don't care for alien movies as a rule.

Rest well.

Brendan Hope said...

hey ive been following your blogg for awhile now and i find it very inspiring. i too have a disability that will one day kill me to death i have Becker Muscular Dystrophy and have just got to the point where using my wheelchair has become more of a have to use than a use when im feeling a bit off. and after about an 8 month wait i have got my custom wheelchair and am using it to keep some what active. started with a 2.5k wheel and when im happy with that i will up it. im thinking of starting my own blogg because there are very few people blogging about disability in little old New Zealand.

Neil said...

Sorry I haven't commented til now; I was busy catching up with Real Life after the weekend.

I blew a raspberry at Battleford for you luv. And it has changed in the last couple of years. Where highways 4 and 40 meet used to be two two-lane roads and a 4 way stop sign. Now highway 4 is divided highway with three lanes in each direction at the intersection. And north of 22nd St, thee are traffice lights with a huge intersection, and side roads going nowhere.

The weekend was humid, hotter than one might like during the day, and vicious thundertorms all night. Most entertaining, if you don't mind losing a sun shade, or getting your tent filled with rain water.

It's nice to read of someone who's unkown winning a medal. But I'm still not really paying attention to the Games.

The films look very good, even though they're not my cup of tea either. Like Linda, I don't care for alien movies. But I may try to find those two films.

Love and zen hugs to you, Linda and Cheryl, and to Tanya too,
Neil