Monday, July 23, 2012

Moss Street Paint In Art Festival 2012 Part I

I really feel in the mood for Rolling Skating. Not Roller Blading, but just an old fashioned Roller Skating Rink with the whole 70’s disco ball, kind of like those days of teen fun which didn’t include alcohol. I wonder if there is anything like that around this city anymore, particularly as the nearest Bowling Alley is now across the water. Anyone been Roller Skating recently?

The ‘hottest summer in 30 years’ continues across Canada and though it was overcast and supposed to be raining, the Moss Street Art Faire expected blue skies, and they got them.

Before we went, Linda and I dropped by the James Bay Farmers Market. New designs and animals by Tyler Hayes of Mystic Glass Creations include glass blown octopus and sea turtles with 3-D colours which change as you move.
I have a necklace like that done in an anarchy symbol and Linda has a ‘BC coast tidal pool’ necklace. We picked up a Jam for Ice Cream by Whimsical Jams. Whimsical Jams are the ones who will make Diabetic Jams on request, as many individuals with disabilities also can be fighting diabetes (let me know if you want any, so I can pass on the order). I know the amount of medicine I throw at my liver, kidneys and pancreas has to be giving it a hard time.

Three things to know about Moss Street Art Faire. 1) If it is about art and it is FREE in Victoria, it will be packed! 2) The hill is a steep hill, even in the Wheelchair, it was a challenge, so I am guessing Linda and Cheryl have muscle aches
and 3) It was HOT, or maybe my ability to adapt to temperature was not that good. So I scooted my power chair INDY from shade spot to shade spot. Thankfully there were plenty of trees.

I saw Libby Wray’s Pottery almost first thing. She had just moved here to Victoria and Moss Street. She was selling off some of her pottery pieces she did before she moved, as she didn’t have her glazing and kiln up and running yet.
It was stoneware, so good for microwaves and washing, but very light, likely due to a different clay from Katy, who I buy much of our pottery from. I like well make functional pottery as it is unique, truly ‘one of a kind’ and when surrounded by so many artists, I am fortunate to afford and let the beauty shine into everyday life. I like good primary colours and of the two blue and white mugs she had, I bought one of them for $12. It was the largest, with a good strong handle, and a wide opening, good for drinks, ice cream, smoothies, soup and soba noodles.

Compared to a painting I saw later on ($2,500), or a reproduction of another painting (only $400) I was glad to visit and PURCHASE some original art at the Moss Street art festival. I think Libby Wray might have been priced for someplace not so art focused as Victoria. Linda told me, catching up to me after she had parked the van (she unloaded INDY and I first), that she talked to Libby who told her to pass on to me that since seeing me she had sold out of the Blue, as well as some bowls I had admired.

A good mug AND I am now an official ‘Patron of the Arts’ for Moss Street Art Festival.

I talked to a painter just up the hill whose had a lot of abstract art, including a series mixing Koi Goldfish and abstract art.
I recognized the abstract style of two planes with squares from some abstract art in both the Welsh National Art Gallery and the Winnipeg Art Gallery (which has a large selection of abstract art), and asked the painter his influences. He said he was influenced by Pollock and Georgia O’Keeffe. I was a wee startled as both artists’ work were VERY different from his, but looking again, I am noticing that the Koi in the pictures have a ‘circumcised’ look to them; particularly the two in the painting in the back. So perhaps his er….introspection of the fish and the bees, the flowers and seeds did have similarities to O’Keeffe’s flower series. He did have a small set of three which screamed ‘I’m from the prairies’ to me (just missing the May ticks and the hordes of insects that take chunks out of you at sunset – which shows the advantages of art).

I enjoyed this fun ode to Penguin Books,
which adds the lads heading off to the Canadian ‘Pop Shop’ to get a summer drink (the standard for Canadian Picnics for the 1980’s and 90’s). It also puts in the West Coast Salish art style of the Native Nations for the penquins: a clever compendium of west coast Canada threaded into the staple of British penguin paperbacks.

Daniel Sali, added his own bit of Canada into this piece which he exhibited in Tokyo before bringing it home to Moss Street.
The long sleeve Kimono indicates the girl is single and usually 25 or under. I love the colours in the fan, but also the Canadian Maple Leaves worked into the pattern of the Kimono.

I’ll finish this first part with one of my favorite local artists, Lisa Hebden (www.lisahebden.com).
She paints birds in trees and on telephone wires, people in wheat fields and females, often without faces. You can see her from 2009, which was last time I went to the Moss Street Paint In (the summer strains my autonomic system making it hard to be well on specific days). Plus she paints red heads, so what is not to love. She recognized me, and said she had debated on whether to bring one of the paintings I had liked from last time. I got some of her art cards featuring birds, as she had several series of cards with nature, but none with red headed girls, either back turned or floating in the pool, alas.

Next post I hope to introduce you to an artist from Tokyo who only does urban landscapes, from taxi’s in traffic in New York City to the 1960’s built Laundromat of the small town along Vancouver Island’s winding highway. Also an artist of art brushing who created a living art piece out of a model while a crowd watched. A lot of the artists work on pieces during the Paint In, Moss Street Festival, but not usually on a human body. And Horst Loewel’s Cabinet of the Fantastique, amoung other art experiences.

Art onwards!

9 comments:

Neil said...

Hi gorgeous:

I LOVE Daniel Sali's piece. Couldn't afford it, but it's beautiful. The octopuses are also very cool. I'm happy you got to the art fair; it looks like a real challenge for the budget. :)

I've never roller skated, but my brother has a pin at the top of his femur from where he tried to spin and jump at a roller rink in 1981. I couldn't handle roller skates. I'm a terrible ice skater, too, and I hate skiing of any sort. I love snow shoes, though, because they don't slide - at least, not on flat ground.

Since you're always suggesting music for us, may I make a recommendation for you? I'm listening to Sheila Chandra as I type: the album I'm listening to is "The Zen Kiss" and it shows her Indian roots. I think she was born in England, though. Wonderful album!

Love and zen hugs,
Neil

Olivia said...

Lovely post, I like the way you focus on and highlight makers and artists.

I used to love to roller skate, haven't tried in years. Of course Roller Derby has brought it back, after the inline skates craze. We have an outdoor ice rink in the middle of the city at the moment, I must give it a go this time, as I missed out last year. I've always wanted to skate outdoors (not such a novelty in much of Canada, I know). Now that school holidays is over it's not so crowded.

Anonymous said...

I love all these art pictures, the little sea turtles are very pretty and the birds on wires. :-) i have rolled skated! A funny sight you may think :-) when i was younger we used to go to dollar disco's. i once held onto the back ofmy brothers bike while we were on holiday and sped along the sea front... not for long tho as i hit a bump in the road and got knocked out! Recently we went to a rollar derby, that's great fun, Google tiger bay brawlers :-) love Nicci xx

Anonymous said...

Cheryl here

Google refuses to believe I don’t have a cell phone so the only way I seem to be able to post is anonymously, go figure…

I am glad we were able to go to the Moss Street Art Faire. That is one steep hill and I was glad to have my cane. It was very warm but there was a lot of beautiful art.

I really liked the pottery especially the pieces done in the shades of blue by Libby Wray. I am partial to the landscapes and seascapes as well as wildlife paintings but the surrealist work of Horst Lowel was amazing. I also thought Daniel Sali’s kimono picture was beautiful. My favorite artist there is still Lisa Hebden. Her artwork really speaks to me.

There is a roller skating rink here in Port Angeles and it is where the local roller derby team has their matches. Since there’s a roller derby team in Victoria I would think there must be a rink somewhere. I thought I heard of one in Langford. Anyway, if you want to go roller skating I will come along and watch.

Neil said...

Hello again, Beth. There's a roller derby league in Regina, but no rink; I think they use the local German Club's hall and set up a temporary rink every month. Their ad for fresh meat does say that you need to be able to skate well, so you might want to practice a whole bunch before trying to join the Victoria roller derby scene.

Love and zen hugs,
Neil

Lorna, Bob and Liam said...

Beautiful photos, lovely descriptions, sounds like a fabulous outing!

Glad you were up to it...

Lorna, Bob and Liam

Kate J said...

Beautiful things! Glad to hear you had an enjoyable day out too. But roller-skating? It looks such fun but I never managed to stay upright at all!
Love & peace

Elizabeth McClung said...

I had to go to the gym, so sorry for the delay on part II. I am glad you like the art pictures - we are on like day 24 of high temp with another 14 to 30 to go and it is a losing battle - if it would just go down to 15 for a day or two or even 18 - or not be sunny from 4 am until 10 pm, I could get sleep AND not overheat.

I don't want to roller derby, I want to go roller skating - I don't know what kind of class trip some people had but we used to go to a roller rink with skates and skate to like 90's music.

Cheryl, if you just 'save' with the mobile blank, it accepts that - as it keeps trying to get me to give them a mobile every 30 comments or so, and I have to hit 'save'

Neil said...

Sorry, dear; roller d erby is the only roller skating here that I'm aware of. You DON'T want to roller skate on the sidewalks, since they're too broken up. Ad there's no rink here to roll on, except the skateboard parks; and they have some sudden dropoffs that aren't visible until it's too late. Thus, I got carried away into roller derby land.

Love and zen hgs,
Neil