Thursday, December 08, 2011

Hugo, a (steampunk) film review and an alternate solar system

After a two month wait my disability film tickets came and I went to see The Invention of Hugo Cabret (Hugo) based on the book by Brian Selznick. It is choc-a-bloc with top notch actors in an Amile french film style meets steampunk. Based on the Paris train station in 1930, and a now orphan boy who keeps the clocks of the station running while he tries to repair the project his father and he started together: the Automation (like the kind used in old magic shows and entertainment for kings and courts).

Hugo, as a film, produced by Johnny Depp, whose theme is broken-ness (akin to Scissorhands), I was disappointed to see the disabled used as comedy and villain both. The film is not just about early films, but has tucked into screen flashes and background posters works from Dali and Hugo running past James Joyce drinking at a cafĂ© among many of the historical joys. Isabelle, who perhaps has read a few too many books and seems a bit TOO enthused with ‘an adventure’ ala Anne of Green Gables, particularly when she is waxing on how it is okay for men to cry like Heathcliffe does. Still, it makes her, as well as the bookseller, stand out characters, and the ironwork and Edwardian buildings lush. Winner already of several awards I give it a big thumb up for seeing on the large screen. I hope that the Second Sherlock Holmes film keeps the Victorian enthusiasm alive (trailer).

I did however spend a great deal of time in Hugo going, 'Where do I know those lips?', asking the same question over and over about Isabelle. So you don't have to ask and can just enjoy the film, she played Hit Girl in Kick-Ass. So good in BOTH roles.

Here is a fun upload for those who like solar system models as it holds not just our current (Copernican) but the Tychonian’s earth centric model. Don’t forget to click the music and the phases of the moon.

I hope your weekend is fun. The trailer for Hugo is below (a great trailer and an even better movie), the ‘sky blue’ officer with his alliteration is only surpassed by his bizarre phone conversations. I have found that Warren Spector of my favorite game Dues Ex (a non-violent, non-linear, cyber-punk game of old) and Thief, went on to do Epic Mickey, a game about the lost or forgotten Disney characters and rides in a mirror realm including Mickey’s lost brother (I added it to my wish list, and would welcome your reviews if you have played it).

8 comments:

Linda McClung said...

What a cool trailer for Sherlock Holmes. I am looking forward to seeing it at a cinema with you on one of our date nights.

You had me chortling with glee when you said you recognized those lips and spent a great deal of time trying to figure out why. That is my obsession and bad habit and to hear you admit to doing it makes me happy. Next time you tease me about it, I can tease you back!

I really enjoyed Hugo and would recommend it to everyone. A great story, great characters and terrific ambiance. If you are into steampunk the sets will appeal to you. Even if you're not - they'll still be appealing to the adventurer in you. Who wouldn't want to see inside the walls of a Victorian/Edwardian style train station and see the old clock gears and stuff?

Thanks for the recommend and review, Beth.

Seeing Beth in 3D glasses was also fun!

cheryl g said...

Oh I really want to see this movie now! I will have to see if it is anywhere on the peninsula. It is cool seeing the girl who played Hit Girl too.

Thanks for the great review!

Raccoon said...

Hugo looks very cool. And it has Data… I mean, a clockwork man. I haven't read the story, but the trailer looks good. I didn't realize that Johnny Depp was the producer.

I've never really thought of Sherlock Holmes as an action star. The first movie decent reviews, though.

And the solar system diagram is way cool. I'm sending that link off to a couple of teachers that I know.

D. Emerson Evans said...

While I haven't played Epic Mickey myself, I have reports from friends that its fantastic visuals are somewhat undercut by clumsy controls and an awkward camera. Still worth checking out though.

Lene Andersen said...

Hugo looks like such an interesting movie and now I want to see it even more than I did before.

I can't wait for the new Sherlock Holmes! I'm a big fan of Robert Downey Jr and lovedlovedloved the first one. Thanks for making me even more impatient. ;)

p.s. leave it to you to recognize someone by their lips.

Kate J said...

Thanks for your review of Hugo! I'd heard Martin Scorsese interviewed about it, and thought it sounded really good. I get to see a lot of movies, as I work one evening a week in a cinema, and this certainly sounds like a film worth watching. I really enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes too, especially the whole steampunk atmosphere. hen it comes to Holmes, though, I do like the BBC's 21st century reimagining of Holmes - a new series soon, apparently!

I do hope you get to see more movies at the cinema, too - DVDs are fine but the big screen is something else! Hope you and Linda get to see the films together, too.

Love & peace

Neil said...

Thanks for the orrery, Beth. I've passed it on to the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada's discussion list. How DO you come across such things? :)

Love and zen hugs,
Neil

Elizabeth McClung said...

Neil, I found it while doing that kind of online brousing to avoid going to bed. It is like the german company which makes military maps but also does the 3-d cards I order to send to kids. Hard to know sometimes where I find things, but that was fun.