Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Gynandromorphs: the diversity of the world

Gynandromorphs in humans would be likely mosiac intersex (hit link to see 14 different dual sex animals - beware the offensive and human-centric 'shock headline').These are animals which are dual sex: half male and half female (the birds are quite stunning). You can see that they literally split right down the middle, in coloring and more, in some, gender is only found on a cellular level.I find it facinating that it is so easy to accept the diversity in nature, but refuse the same diversity in humans (as indicated by the title 'shemales of nature' Sigh).

Also from science are studies on the nature of birds that live as females (more offensive and human-centric 'shock headline'). What makes it unusual is that these are birds of prey, historically and emotionally seen as 'dominant males'. The birds mimic or live as females with female plumage often for protection and other reasons (including, yes, sex!).

I went exercising for several hours, so I am totally punked out. Will be all insightful in a bit.

6 comments:

Lorna, Bob and Liam said...

Hmmmm... interesting information, great links, cool pics... seems insightful to me!

Glad you exercised, sorry it punked you as always...

Hugs and warm thoughts!

Lorna, Bob and Liam

cheryl g said...

I found the links fascinating although I did cringe at the “she-males” headline. The captions were also interesting about discovering one side of the brain having all female cells and the other all male cells. In the natural world there is huge diversity and variation in genetic make up. Why humans seem to be afraid of such variety in humans is something I struggle to understand

I also found the other article quite interesting. I can certainly see the evolutionary advantage for those birds.

I am glad you were able to exercise and hope you are feeling stronger soon.

Raccoon said...

Some great pictures.

I, however, an a Philistine. If I saw one of the birds or insects in the wild, my first (and probably my second, third, and fourth) reaction would be "Hrm. That's an odd coloration."

Seeing it in a science/museum setting, with notations sitting beside, is definitely more interesting, to me.

Neil said...

Fascinating photos. But this bilateral difference doesn't happen in people? If not, it's probably a good thing, in that the obvious differences would make life difficult, and would be subject to horrific treatment - both from onlookers and doctors.

Good for you for exercising. Punk: okay. Punked: not so much.

I watched "The Girl Who Played With Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" in the last couple of weeks. The REAL versions, in Swedish, with Nooni Rapace. The books were completely addicting, and the movies, even with subtitles ('cause I don't understand Swedish) were awesome. Thanks again for the recommendation some time back! Actually, the ending of the first movie makes Lisbeth look even colder and more calculating than the book did; and I wouldn't have thought that possible.

Love and zen hugs,
Neil

Displaced said...

Awesomely awesome link!

Thanks mate!

Linda McClung said...

Interesting photos. It's amazing how much variety there is out there - and how little humans can accept that diversity.

Thanks for blogging about this.

You worked so hard when you exercised - I was impressed by how much you did.