Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My weekend and why Linda calls me 'Sheldon'

We had a pretty good weekend, until the third hour of it.

I WAS going for Korean BBQ that evening(except they were on vacation for a week), so while deciding we went to the local markets. The natural soap and carver was there with new products, including both mini-watermelon and apricots.
Last year a potter had been making skeleton cookie jars but had moved on to mugs as well as fossilized dinosaur pattern mugs. Cool. I was like, “Where’s the lid?” because Linda had hinted at a skeleton cookie jar. No lid.

There is an inner court of stalls, then an outer court with the foods. Inside there is a guy singing busking songs and outside there was a woman with a Celtic ‘Lap Harp’, I think it is 42 strings. We bought some cheese at the Award Winning Qualicum Cheese Factory we had visited before (now they come to us – score!). They were Finalists in the Brie category for all of Canada (Brie is the one where the stuff that normally tells you your bread, clothes, or shoes have been hanging around to long covers cheese and this makes it ‘strong’ – yeah, kind of like a men’s locker room I’m guessing. I don’t do ‘strong’ cheeses, sorry).

Off to the side there is even a play area for children which even has its own Zip Line. Pretty cool. This guy was using it to Zip back and forth.

What is amazing is he was a least a foot shorter than being able to reach the holding ring (and thus probably years too young for those who planned what age should use it – but does that ever stop a kid?). He was climbing up on bolts and jumping to grab the ring, and then would ride it across every time he caught it.

Here is a picture of the corner of the market, if you don’t get the irony, then it is just a nice tree, blooming. We left and went to the James Bay market afterward. Making a brief stop at home. While Linda went inside, I talked to the animals.
It was a sunny and warm day and people were taking out their collectable vehicles for the first big rides of the year. I think this is a Bentley beside us, I love the tires.

In James Bay, Whimsical Jam was there, and we talked to them and bought some peach jam for Linda. Then I talked to the potter who last year would not use the Amazing blue in her pottery because she was pregnant now had her baby and was using blue again! And more was going to be on display next week, this week just these two. This, according to Linda is an oil and vinegar set. While to me it is clearly perfect for making flambe’! Not enough flambe’ in this world: flambe’ waffles in the morning, flambe’ omlettes, flambe’ open beef sandwich….the ideas are endless. Next week they are having a gallery showing of the artist of James Bay…..up at least 20 stairs. DARN.

Here is the artist who blows glass and makes tidepools which Linda bought. This year he was making mini stars and Galaxy’s inside of glass balls. They ranged from $90-$150 but were amazing to look at. He also created octopus as well as these jellyfish necklaces (we are very sea themed here on the west coast island).
As for me, I found a left over Anarchy necklace. It had been left over because an older woman wanted it because she was named ANN, the owner explained before final sale that the symbol had slight other meanings besides an A. Her loss was my gain. I told the woman watching the stall for the glass blower that Anarchy is not about bad or violence, it merely supports the removal or collapse of a previous system so rapid change, for good or ill, rises in place (we hope for good, oddly, we keep getting ill).

She said, "Wha? Yeah, sure." I got it for $10 (you can see it here with my cooling ‘kerchief and a pack of ice down my back). Ah, it all comes together, the red hair, the Anarchy symbol, now I just need a big flag and a line of police to charge in my wheelchair!
Sadly the heat did me in at this point and with the fever, nausea in extreme, shaking, and the desire to have my skin turn inside out as well as my body getting hotter and hotter, I had full blown heat stroke as the dizziness and confusion increased. And voided my entire intestines. Despite the ‘warnings’ to go to a hospital (yeah!), I was wheeled to bed, lifted in, iced, and lay alternating mumbling things and shivering before sleeping. The fever broke nine hours later. The good news is that I did NOT going into a coma! The bad news is I didn’t go out for dinner, and having 2 hours out from 11-1 in May means full heat stroke, then will I be able to leave this apartment until autumn? I hope so. So, got the 1 in 3 bad disaster weekend out of the way.

Getting up, I worked with Cheryl and Linda into the WEE hours doing postcards, 54 in all, down the list, making sure that people who might have been missed for a while were getting one. I hope they come at the right time, since I have been hearing people getting the ‘lurgy’ or varients which go into the lungs right away all over the country, so I hope a postcard gets to them when they are down.

In the evening Linda and I have been renting ‘The Big Bang Theory’ which is sort of like watching some guys I knew at uni. But during one episode, at one point, returning from a Renaissance Faire, Sheldon (ASD and self absorbed brainiac!) was complaining about the inaccuracies at the Faire. However his complaints were so egregiously wrong I had to pause the show to explain to Linda about disregarding those INACCURATE complaints because the period Sheldon was talking about was late middle ages of central Europe not the explosive intellectual/artistic explosion in Florence. That is what spread not only exchanged through the emerging postal system which carried the challenges of mathematics, puzzles of art perspective, and treatises but the education centers of University of Paris, Oxford and others, quoting from the excellent biography of Layola (founder of the Jesuits) who went to Paris.

I stopped at this point because Linda was laughing so hard that she was crying, and couldn’t seem to stop laughing, as she would look at me and say, “Yes Sheldon” and then start laughing again.

I tried to remain aloof and simply restarted the show, but soon had to make a correction of late middle English pronunciation which the show had wrong and set off Linda into hysterics again.

Sigh.

She giggled constant throughout but did turn to me at the end, when the main character broke up with the wonderful Leslie Winkle ("Come for the boobs, stay for the brains") due to what theory of physics they would teach their children. Leslie believed in Quantum and Sheldon (and the main character) believed in String. I explained (briefly) the step from the grandfather Newton to father Einstein and his theories. My own observation is that Winkle was right because Quantum physics is about TESTS and results and working equations from that to find the laws of this universe, while string theory cannot BE tested.

Life impacts theory and vice versa, so the pragmatic aspects that women have to deal with and compromise about not just historically but as part of life, makes Quantum is an extension of that. Because one can have an idea but when a single aspect of data (like recent finding of the fact that stem cells grow differently in space – hence the idea of colonies in space suddenly is less attractive to women who REALLY don’t want to see what the first child would be like!) requires a change in universe constants and our perspective. String Theory, like male masturbation, has endless variety and playing with itself but has no tangible effects or ability to test (and the idea that you can get paid to do this, oddly enough, attracts a high percentage of men to that field) – while Quantum, you get it wrong, and instead of a baby, you get cancer.

Now most of the time when we watch Big Bang Theory I point out to her that while I have OCD, a cleanness issue, space issues, tend to overthink the optimal, I keep saying, “I don’t do THAT” while she giggles at various places.

We work at getting by. We work at contact, and intimacy of space despite the pain (I fell twice yesterday, the second time hurting my elbow, hip and leg badly). Or I do, because the pain is what makes me something I would not want to be. I want to put defensive, cranky, and pain hazed interpreted Elizabeth on the shelf and let the vulnerable Elizabeth’s back out (problem is they need someone to catch them emotionally: in order to remain open and vulnerable, it creates fragility). So with my birthday midweek, I live in a future I hardly believe, of years I can’t remember. And the knowledge of the pain I live but the pain I have caused others. I know individuals who believe I deserve this, and it is my fear that Linda was chosen, or persecuted once again with a layoff BECAUSE I exist, because I am ill, and fear that deep down she wants to yell, ‘It is your fault!’, and then she's gone. She won't, because her daily acts of thoughtful kind love after years of hard caregiving should tell me otherwise. It tells me she cares. My fears keep whispering though.

Canada particularly always seeks to find whose fault it is, or rather to avoid taking responsibility and end up at fault. So to get ill, I was told, it must be genetic. It must be because I have displeased God. It is my sins come back to haunt me, etc. I live in a brain where time has stopped that day part of it died and yet I must face things every time I wake up. The day after the postcards I went for dental cleaning (Linda knew this was included and oddly did not tell me, due to the 'worry factor'), exam AND plates to avoid cracks and chipping from pain teeth clenching and seizures. The cleaning took 90 minutes. I talked to the person doing the scaling and cleaning and asked her to ‘kill it all, every little bit’, and then, suctioning blood, asked her to go back and do the back wisdom teeth as well as other areas AGAIN. There was a LOT of blood.

Linda was reading a magazine when the tech said, “um, is she…” and Linda looked and said, “Yeah, she’s passed out.”

“Does this happen a lot?”

“Oh yeah,” Linda assured her, “No worries!” I passed out twice, had a seizure and a TIA. The pain was, well, I kept telling myself, “hang on, hang on…”

A close relation was having their cleaning at the same time and talked to Linda was I was out (seizure or TIA I think), they saw me come to, use the arm I could use to raise is the air and rasp out, “Kill, kill, kill!” and back in with the tools the Tech went. The relation said, “It just isn’t fair how she gets to have fun doing this!”

Ah….er?

At the end, I had no cavities, no problems and declared myself ‘ready for toffee!’ That is, once I finished keeping the fluoride in my mouth for 30 minutes.

And thus goes my birthday week so far. No, not the greatest, I will admit.

I’d love to hear how your weekend went. And if it was a ‘SPLAT’ at least you know you have company. Next weekend we are hoping to get out to the highland games, which are here in town. I have always wanted to do the dancing with the really expensive leather shoes with lacing round the ankles (they cost about $110, I checked). Plus I can practice a bagpipe for at least 2-3 minutes (how long can it take to learn anyway?) without Linda noticing.Because I have a plan for LINDA’s birthday. I wish to surprise her with my rendition of ‘Happy Birthday to You’ on the bagpipes. I haven’t actually played them, as such, but I have read a book and am pretty up on the theory (it is hard to practice the bagpipes in an apartment and end up surprising her when the time comes, you know what I mean?). So she has that to look forward to.

Next post, I will be writing about Birthday ‘wishes’ (my number one wish is ‘one more year’ – since Linda says that 'NO, I am not actually just down with mono and daily exercise will NOT cure this' – I told her next year I can wish for ‘one more year’ again). But mostly about ‘Secret Shames’ and asking you to share them.

Yes, those secret shames like whose picture you had in your locker and which male readers got a perm (or blower drying in the school locker to look like David Bowie or Shawn Cassidy)? One of Linda’s secrets: She actually had a ‘Hang in There’ poster with a kitty. Me? I had an under the hood programming K.I.T.T. car from Knight Rider. Oh yeah, there wasn’t exactly an INNER HIDDEN geek.

19 comments:

deadrose said...

Oh dear yes, I know those Sheldon moments. The only person in this little family who doesn't really have them is Bethia, and she's quite accustomed to the rest of us geeking out on one subject or another.

Dave and I love that we're able to talk about almost anything without having to try and give a crash course in the subject first. It's not as much fun to geek out about physics when the other person can't grasp even the most basic ideas.

Hm... a secret shame from my youth... well, if I had a locker in high school big enough to put a poster in, it could have been George Sand as easily as David Bowie. I had the biggest girlie-crush on her, notwithstanding that she'd been dead over 100 years. Try explaining that to your 'peers'. Later on, in my punk days, it would have been my secret fondness for folk music. Luckily my boyfriend shared it, so we could go home and get all misty-eyed watching a Pete Seeger retrospective on PBS without anyone being the wiser.

Baba Yaga said...

Not exactly a splat weekend, although you do seem to have crammed a lot into the two hours before you splatted. Skeltons and harps and galaxies and anarchy, oh my. Heatstroke, oh *curses*. Waterwings filled with ice slush to cool the blood? (Now to find a purbeyor of goth waterwings.)

And postcards too? Quite mad, Beth dear.

Mine was more a rush first half of weekend, after a rush week, and a flop second half. I keep thinking that better than usual = do lots more than usual, and being rather surprised to find that that also means *paying* for lots more than usual. (It's the migraine season anyway, who cares?)

Your birthday was celebrated with rhubarb crumble, therefore. Very fresh rhubarb, and pretty good crumble, with lots of ginger. Which cheered *my weekend quite a bit.

I suggest that Linda might be more appreciative of Northumbrian pipes than Scottish ones. The Scottish sort was designed to strike fear into the hearts of the enemy, after all...

FridaWrites said...

Yes!

FridaWrites said...

Am in shock that blogger destroyed my lengthy comment. Grr grr grrr.

Happy Birthday! I think it is today.

I always feel like you take us on a short vacation when you post the market pictures. I think this counts as one of your weekends since the soaps look good enough to eat--right? I am glad you got out. We will this weekend and next (no rain in the forecast)--am looking forward to it, could not this weekend. But I attended two orchestra concerts, Thursday and Tuesday--does that count since I don't get out much? :) We ate beforehand, lol.

My husband was a physics major--I will have to look for that show for him. He's also a medieval/Renaissance geek--you guys would have some interesting conversations. I remember him talking more about quantum physics than string physics. Can the two work together? I am wondering if they will mesh/intersect somehow. He would love those glass spheres.

Wishing you one more year and many more years. Should we also wish for some cloudy but rainless weekend days for you?--might help with the heat.

C'mon, blogger, don't delete, don't delete...

Neil said...

Beth: I don't know WHAT Linda is laughing at you for; with your knowledge of the middle ages, you'd fit perfectly into the Society for Creative Anachronism. Some of our members will complain bitterly about minor bits of history. And the movie A Knight's Tale (with Heath Ledger) is so bad that it's wonderful, but one friend of mine will not abide one word of discussion of it. She finds it too offensive for words. I laugh at her for that.

I don't think either the quantum or string theory has it right. We'll just have to keep working on physics!

As for OCD, I prefer to call it CDO, so the letters can be in proper alphabetical order. If I'm not compulsive about some things, I'll never find anything.

I'm sorry that your weekend didn't go as planned, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been, so I presume it wasn't a total loss.

We ended up not doing anything terribly special. My Beloved is working on two newsletters and a book that needs proofreading and layout/design help, and I tried my best to keep the kids at their homework and tidy the house.

I did get out to an astronomical event: the local astronomical society went to a church to show some preteens around the sky. They had a air of strong binoculars and five telescopes, and I did my best to help with explanations all over the area. But there was one grown woman who had no clue that there are people living and working in space for 6 months at a time, and she couldn't fathom the idea of assembling a space station in orbit using pieces taken up with space shuttles.

Ya know, Beth, if you have breathing problems and issues with control of fingers, the bagpipe might not be he best instrument to serenade your darling wife with. Maybe start with a penny whistle or recorder?

You look wonderful in that photo, dear. Cool earrings, too. I'm glad you got out for two hours at least.

Love and zen hugs,
Neil

JaneB said...

Uh, yeah, _I_ also noticed all those inconsistencies in that episode. Sigh. Like New World palm trees in 'ancient mediterranean' in Xena Warrior Princess, and people getting mad that I notice that kind of detail. Matters to me!

At least the fever 'only' lasted half a day, not a week! Thank you for the lovely photos, even if they were very expensive...

Linda McClung said...

I liked going to market to see which vendors would be there and if they had new stuff. I'm with you on the stinky cheese opinion. I also got a good laugh watching the boy with the zip line. He was a little monkey!

The blue sparkly pottery and the blown glass were amazing. The skull cookie jar and his blue pottery were amazing, too. If only I had a few hundred bucks to spare!

I was shocked by how quickly you got heat exhaustion. It made me rethink some summer plans. We'll have to be careful about when and where we go out. Have a picnic on a day like today - when it is overcast, breezy and cool enough to not overheat but warm enough to avoid frostbite.

Doing postcards was a lot of fun. I like our new big stamps - hopefully the recipients will, too!

Big Bang Theory and Beth - aka Sheldon. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Thank you. Sorry it was at your expense. I do think you are an amazingly smart person and that's something to be proud about, but you were so similar to Sheldon in clarifying inaccuracies and explaining complicated theorums that would cause most people's eyes to glaze over.

Teaasing aside, I will do my best to catch you emotionally. Despite your fears, I don't believe you deserve this illness nor do I believe you were the reason I was made redundent. Most of the managers were made redundent and only a few workaholics remained. And if you were the reason I was made redundent (which you're not), I'd have to say thank you as I'm a much happier person not working there. A better job will come at the right time.

Bagpipes, huh? I don't even want to imagine that!

I'm looking forward to reading you next blog. I had fun brainstorming ideas with you.

Vanessa said...

Ugh I'm sorry your birthday outing was pretty much a bust. XP And OUCH @ the teeth cleaning. XP

I did chuckle at the "Sheldon" part though. We are uber geeks and can often be found pausing some show or another to argue or discuss the finer points of all manner of geeky subjects... Especially Starwars and comic book characters. XP They never get tired of that.

Lene Andersen said...

I'm still laughing about the Sheldon thing and me for some time. Mostly because I recognize the compulsion to stop and correct TV program.

I love the pictures from the fair, the ocean themed stuff is terrific and the picture of you is wonderful. crap that you had to go home and basic as payment for being outside - was it worth it?

your relatives take the cake. That's all I can say.

cheryl g said...

Visiting the markets was fun. It was good to see some of my favorite vendors again. There’s always great things to see at the market. I have gotten many compliments on the jellyfish necklace I got. The anarchy necklace was definitely meant for you. It was sure hot. Maybe next time we should have the cooling vest with us.

Doing postcards was great fun and I loved using the new big rubber stamps.

I can easily imagine the scene with you explaining the inaccuracies from Big Bang Theory to Linda. I love that show and Sheldon is very familiar. He reminds me of my brother a bit.

As for secret shame… that would be Charlie’s Angels. I watched every episode and had a crush on Kate Jackson.

Dawn Allenbach said...

How much were the octopus necklaces? Can I send you money and have you get one for me the next time you go (whenever you are able)?

I have a friend who is a physicist (he works with quantum neural networks, I think), and I am SO going to tell him about you comparing string theory to male masturbation! That made my day!

Please get some rest, as much as you are able.

Raccoon said...

I think that's a little larger than a "lap harp." Maybe a "half sized" harp. At least, it looks larger then the lap harps that I've seen. About double the size.

Does the pottery maker with the dinosaur skeletons have a website? (I think I'm actually going to try holiday shopping before winter solstice this year...)

OK, I guess I'm clueless. What's the irony about the tree?

Yay! Whimsical Jam! (Oh yeah, I got the jam today. It was wrapped so well that Kim had to go to the kitchen for a sharp knife!)

You anarchist, you! Don't you know it's not nice to play with the sheeople?

Sheldon, wait! If he was talking about late Middle Ages in central Europe, and you were talking about the Italian Renaissance, which period was the Faire focused on? I know that the large one that I used to go to/participate in was set in the English Renaissance, the 1590s supposedly, although they used a block of time from roughly 1570 until 1600 (it's a chapter, not a page). The smaller one weekend Faires used something similar, in that they would pick a period of time (summer, late in the reign of Henry, for instance). But they were all set in England.

Nowadays I see a lot more Renaissance-Medieval-Fantasy Faires. They don't really worry about historical accuracy...

"String Theory, like male masturbation, has endless variety and playing with itself..." Uhm... your prejudices are showing. And I'm going to bite my tongue now.

wendryn said...

The market looks amazing! We still get comments on the soap you sent last time - people don't use it because they think it's fruit. Everything there looks really neat. :)

I love the Big Bang Theory! I'm only a minor geek, but I do understand a lot of what goes on in that show.

I'm still amazed by the love you and Linda have for each other.

Weekend...let's see. Oh! I had a 9 year old all weekend, and we had fun - went for a walk, went out for sushi with my husband, and saw The Wizard of Oz. A good weekend.

I hope next weekend is a good one. *hugs*

Elizabeth McClung said...

Raccoon: I asked Linda, "Does he mean my prejudices about string theory or about male masturbation?" - admittedly, some guys in college who I played cards with and who talked about: masturbation, who they would masturbate about, who just appeared on the TV they would masturbate that evening to, how many times they masturbate, getting caught masturbating, the equating masturbation to like water, in that death might occur in a few days if it is not done - that might have skewed my view of male masturbation, string theory, that was prejudiced by high school.

Deadrose: Is getting peer pressure from dead people the secret shame?

did you listen to punk and folk at the same time? Or dress punk and listen to folk?

Baba Yaga: I did use the neck cooling scarf and an ice back, I might have to (insert music) wear the vest!

Thanks for the suggestion, I think me waking anyone by playing the bagpipes by their bed will be filled with terror of some kind.

Frida: Two orchestra concerts count a lot since I haven't been able to go to one for years - what was playing? Was it good?

Quantum is sort of hundreds of years in the making while string a few decades, though Einstein in the 30's did a paper on wormholes which most people think is string theory (but not, since wormholes are the answer to 'how do we travel under light speed but get anywhere before we die?'). I think he would like it a lot, they do ren faires, and in one instance, even dress as spock to 'analyze' a 'Late Medievil TYPE civilization'.

Neil: Hmm, the SCA here is rather loose about historical accuracy. In the UK, there isn't the SCA because while here there are 'civil war' reinactment groups, there are there too - but that includes, Battle of Hastings. One person I worked with was a pikeman and worked for 2-3 years to work up to get the needed pike skills, plus it takes a year to make the chain mail. They REALLY get into it. So I joined the Arthurian Society (which is like the SCA in that it mixes the myth of Chivelry, throws out the upper class running down small children in war horses while riding through town and the random rapings (and the 'Lord's wedding tithe') and puts in lots of events in local castles or ruins like dances and feasts. I think you would have liked it.

Jane: Yes, the whole being yelled at of 'It's only a TV show!' seems a bit unfair after a while. That is why I like it when someone does some real historical research and puts it in TV or film.

I am glad the fever broke as well, but the effects lasted into the week.

Vanessa: I know enough, from hanging with the guys who talked about masturbating (and also talked about comics, and star wars, etc) - to recognize green lantern (though not the red shirt with the same logo - Red Lantern?), and miss some of the exact comic book references (which also seems to show up a lot in the TV series Heroes as well!).

Lene: Yes, I think the people who read here have lots of knowledge and like to learn so we might be the type to want our programs to be accurate!

Elizabeth McClung said...

Dawn: the octupus was $50, I checked, I will ask again the glass blower if he has others.

Raccoon: It is a honeysuckle tree next to a honey seller, just thought it was funny at the time.

I have the card for the pottery guy, I will see if there is a website on it and email you.

Re Sheldon and show: Exactly, I think it was 'supposed' to be early Northern European Ren which didn't occur until AFTER the printing press but had many aspects which were pre printing press.

deadrose said...

Beth: Keep in mind that I was in high school in the mid-70s. Idolizing David Bowie was bad enough to my schoolmates, but at least he was male. Idolizing a dead Frenchwoman who adopted a man's name and spent part of her life dressing as one was completely horrifying to everyone but my French teacher, who seemed to think I was just immersing myself in French culture. Much more interested in immersing myself in... oh we won't go there ;-)

I dressed as a punk, listened to punk rock, was a core member of the local punk community, and my boyfriend was the drummer of an influential hardcore band - and then when nobody else was around, we'd pull out our folk records :D It was worse than a goth dressing in pastels in most circles.

FridaWrites said...

It was my kids who were playing! The little ones were cute, the middle schoolers were awesome, even the 6th graders. A number of people said it was the best orchestra concert they've attended.

A. J. Luxton said...

I have not watched that show, but I definitely resemble that character quite a bit as well.

Most recently, reading "British Summertime" by Paul Cornell - which is an excellent, excellent book in all other aspects, which is probably why I got so pedantic - I had to make a margin note in pencil when an incorrect remark about brain chemistry was made. Mostly so that when I loaned my partners the book they wouldn't think I endorsed the inaccuracy.

I am ashamed of relatively little, including the sorts of things that might make most people blush. (And mostly embarrassment attaches to things that would bore normal people - like when I use the wrong word, I want to run and hide.) However, I did recently flirt with someone over the DSM-IV entry for adult attention-deficit disorder. In class, no less. :D

Happy birthday!

Bonnie said...

Hello, Elizabeth.
I hadn’t responded to the “Go somewhere, do something and report back” challenge yet. Here is my report; it’s rather long, perhaps you might like to have Linda or Cheryl read it to you.
Last weekend was Marcon, a sci-fi/fantasy convention held here in my hometown of Columbus Ohio. This years theme was Necropolis. Oh, yeah, zombies and undead. I’ve been attending for years, albeit not in costume. Let’s see, who was there this year?
Well, the Stormtroupers weren’t in full armor for most of the con, and I didn’t see Darth Vader this year (I actually used to work with the guy who was nominated and voted in to portray Vader. Apparently, not just anyone can be Vader, if they are a member of the Stormtroupers). No Princess Leia; in the past, we have had several Slave Girl Leias at the con. Last years we had tons of Jedis. I didn’t see a one this year.
There were not as many Trekkers as in years past. Surprising, really. And I didn’t see Delenn from Babylon 5.
There were some well done Ghostbusters, complete with realistic backpacks. No Capt. Jack Sparrows this year, although we’ve had some in the past. There were quite a few zombies walking around though. We did have a sparkly vampire; I refrained from pointing and mocking. I’m not a Twilight fan, obviously.
We had a Yuna from Final Fantasy; two years ago we had a Rikku. Look them up online; very cute girls in very cute sexy outfits. We had Cloud from Final Fantasy too. There was a State Alchemist there; I don’t think it was one of the Elrich brothers though.
Hmmm….there were some other manga characters that I can’t identify.
And the Steampunk! God, I loves me some Steampunk! The men were resplendent in their waist coats, cutaways and top hats. Goggles and LED lighted spectacles abounded, along with fancy watchfobs. Colors were black coats, with khaki or tan waistcoats and crisp white shirts.
The ladies looked good too. Most were in black, although one lass did a very good Victorian outfit in shads of brown and khaki, complete with brown leather waspie fastened with brass buckles. Her skirt was carefully ruches up to allow freedome of movement. Most of the others wore as little skirt as they could get away with. I understand, if you’ve got the legs flaunt them, but it took on a sameness and lacked the authenticity. Although, one young lady had the coolest top hat; it was actually bars, not solid, and was a birdcage complete with bird!
My favorite was the mousy looking woman who transformed herself in the ladies room. She fastened up her long hair in a complicated bun at her nape, wore a frilly long sleeved high necked blouse in cream cotton, and a long black skirt with several pleats on the side, and black ankle boots. Doesn’t sound exciting? Well, when she put on the gray plaid waist corsetlet, it totally transformed her from Plain Jane to dashing Scottish Victorian. She definitely cut a handsome figure, as our forerunners would say. She added a stylish gray hat with a gray plume, nothing too large or showy, but the effect was dashing and dignified, a real Steampunk Lady With Character. It quite gave me ideas for a costume of my own next year!

Question: I think you are a tea drinker, can you still have tea? If so, what is your favorite kind (or Linda's, or Cheryl's)? Green, Black, flavored, unflavored, with milk, without milk, sugared, fruity?

Bonnie