Thursday, February 26, 2009

Flying, and what is possible.

If you only look at my dying body, you will never get to see ME.What is possible until I SAY it is possible? Today we have a lesson in flight, whimsy and spring. I think we all need a little spring in our lives right now. But unlike Peter Pan or Tinkerbell, you don’t have to have happy thoughts, you can be as sarcastic as you like. I encourage it; because flying takes ATTITUDE, or was that ‘altitude?’ I always get the two mixed up. No, I am pretty sure it was attitude. So grab your rock chick attitude and get geared up for flight.The guitar says: “It’s better to be wrong alive than dead right.” That’s sort of terminal people humor. Which is the first lesson in flying: one I happen to excel at, falling.
If you can’t fall, then you can’t fly, and wow, can I fall. Falling is a bit of an art; you want it to be entertaining for the spectators but not actually permanently damage you. But the point is, you can’t fly, if you aren’t willing to fall. Now staying here, on the ground, in the snow with everyone else is fine. If that is what you are made for. But there are some of us who have wings burned into us. They keep cutting them off, but somehow the wings keep coming back. So is everyone ready?
What is flying really? Well flight, with all the physics removed is being where only imagination can put you, one part of you in reality (the air) and the other part of you in desire, in wish, in imagination, in whatever and where ever you want to be, if you are willing to pay. Because what you dream, you can do. Or you can fall a bunch of times trying. I said I would rather try for the impossible and fall down for the last time further than anyone thought possible than not try at all. That is how I lived, that is how I will die (a bit of slave to fashion, I went to the doctor’s yesterday in my tank top with bats on it, and slim leg jeans – I was smoking hot – if you got to be freezing, since it snowed, then you might as well look hot, right?) and that (trying!) is how I will be spending the next little while (because here is the secret, I’m not dead yet, and I’m not dying! Well, yes my body and brain may be a little on the blink but like a TV if you just jiggle the antenna…….um, never mind). Point be that, yes, I have been down, down, emotionally crushed. And it has been a long winter, hasn’t it? It has for me, so I for one am OUT OF HERE. Let’s go ahead; you know ‘dreams’, ‘planning’, ‘intention’, ‘wild whimsy’? Let’s GO!
Okay, now was that so hard? Well actually it is, because we spend so much time stuck in there here and now with the government and the council and the other people bombarding us with things to keep us focused only on the problems: They convince us only on what can’t be done, only on barely keeping up that we are so scared that if we lift our foot off the ground, we will be lost. So you got small wings, don’t worry...they grow with time, the point is to lift off, right? For you to leave, at least for the 5-15 minutes you are here, that crap behind, because spring is coming. Spring is coming to thaw winter and I have to tell you she is a bit of a babe.
Now, first things first, I should say that I don’t just go off on lots of opium in case you are wondering in some sort of Kubla Kahn dream. No, I am working toward an actual reality and to do that I took care of myself, I had hard days, like yesterday but I got my sleep, my REST, I watched anime and ate good wholesome things, like…um…cookies.
The first thing is that people forget, they forget what CAN be. I don’t know why, because I forget everything every 48 hours and yet, I still can see what can’t be seen, and yet others don’t. They can only see hot chocolate and apple cider (not that I don’t like that) but can you see and remember THIS:
Yeah, now we are in the mood. Spring comes in bouncing and flouncing around. There are flowers peeping up where I live and I guess it won’t be long before the whole area is shouting, “Look at me, I’m alive!” And I said, “You do this EVERY year, do you have to make such a big deal about it!” But then, a truly wonderful thing happens, and I think we all know what I am talking about. Yes, the winter coats disappear and finally crop tops and all sorts of curves and cleavage appear!Err, I must have meant to say something about gardens but got lost in the Sun (whew, now I am hot looking at that picture!) Flowers.

Anyway, I have decided, as I tend to do, that I will have a bikini this year. Linda says, “But you have a great one piece!” And then after looking at my wasted form went, “But you have the figure needed for one!” I am not sure that was overwhelming support but if it works for anime girls it will work for ME. The problem is I need someone to bring me one of the super support ones from Japan so it LOOKS like I have DD or E cups when I have something slightly further towards the front of the alphabet.

The other thing I am learning besides the fact after careful watching of MANY anime shows, that a girl in a bikini can a) get away with just about anything, b) drag off all the girls to ‘talk’ and make the guys all frustrated and c) have more fun, LOTS more fun. The Bikini girls are always having fun, and I think the more accessories you have the more fun you get (I am not sure of the formula, but I am willing to keep trying!).

And then AFTER you have all the fun, I get to have the NAP with the other bikini girls, which I want to point out is MEDICINAL. I am not sure why it is illegal in six states, but then two of those have dances were 10 year olds promise their sexuality to their father in a wedding veil (Chastity Dances) so I am not sure they have a lot of FUN in those states.

Oh, and if you have a catgirl with you, try to make sure you are on the other side of the bed, as cat girls have some unusual habits, like purring in sleep, and stretching a lot and tail twitching in their sleep. Also when they want to wake you up they sit on your face, which can be nice for the first second or two.

You may have realized that you have been sucked into a blog about nothing at all, just a bit of whimsy and pictures to brighten what seems to be a hard week for a lot of people. And you are right. And a little bit wrong. Because I will fly, I will go to Sakura-con, I have put things on ebay and sold them, I am taking action and deliberate inaction (they call it ‘resting’?) because who knows what is possible until you try. And who knows what to try unless you dream. I am tired of dying, and I think I haven’t been doing enough dreaming about what can BE recently.

See, if you know that something can BE, like for instance you WILL get a shot of me in a bikini because I WILL buy one. Then I will work toward that, and while I work hard toward that strange men will send me very wrinkled dollars in the mail with the message scrawled: ‘get bikini, many pictures!’ – So I guess another bikini wax too - oh FUN! In similar news (similar how exactly?), I did get again this week another offer for sex, written in email, not not cyber sex but like, "come to me and have sex, or let me come to you!". When the one from Africa asked me, “Why you be lesbian, why not fly here to have sex with me?” I was sort of not sure what to do (since they person was pretty sure I wouldn't be a lesbian after sex with them). However, when the email came this week from a woman saying she had read my blog and that I looked to be the good, GOD-FEARING and upright husband for her, I was a little confused and said to Linda, “I REALLY have to put more pictures of myself on the blog.”

So sort of a message. I am getting out of the apartment this weekend, I am hanging out (next to the daffodils which are just coming up), and maybe going by the sea side to take a look at the seagulls and the crazy people surfing, and flying kites. I am going to think more about what I CAN do, than what I am leaving or losing, because that is a bore (an painful bore called grief, but still I want a vacation from grief).

And I suggest you do the same, I know that where I am, I have flowers and you have four feet of snow. But you can’t find a flower to smell and think of what it will be like, and what you want to do, and how the taste of fresh strawberries and farmer’s market peas will be like? Give it a try?
Because like me, spring is coming, flowers and all, and I know that winter is still pressing down on us, but for the last couple minutes, you flew. Yes, you thought of bikinis and watermelon and spring and if that is possible, and if I am going to get a bikini and go to Sakura-con (Maybe not at the same time!) what isn't? So those are MY dreams, my ‘possible’ where are YOURS?

24 comments:

Raccoon said...

Flying is throwing yourself at the ground, and missing.

Pretty pictures. Catgirls and wings. And catgirls with wings.

Le Guin has some books about cats with wings. They really freak out the birds.

yanub said...

Jiggle the antenna? On my old TV, when it cut out, I'd slap it on the side with a shoe and it would pop back on just fine. Eventually, it got to where I'd spend the whole evening playing smack the TV in order to watch a program, with the moments of "on" becoming increasingly shorter. But I had bought it used and had it myself for a decade, which goes to show that there can be plenty of life despite bad circuitry.

I thought you were going to mention, about the unusual habits of cat girls, the spitting up of hairballs and the mournful looks at doorknobs. No? That's just regular cats?

Sakura-con and a bikini? Oh, make it at the same time! I'm sure you can get away with it as cosplay.

This was a fun post, and I am very happy to see you at play. You are right. You need to do that often, for your own sake.

Stephanie said...

I was out for a walk yesterday afternoon, noticing bits of snow left over from the night before, then I turned a corner and saw...

CHERRY BLOSSOMS!!!

Spring is finally here! Yayyy!!

My mood has been better in the last few days since I don't know when and I have actually had spontaneous moments of creativity for the first time in over 5 years.

It feels like my wings are finally starting to grow back. Let's all fly!!

Have a great weekend, Elizabeth. Don't just fly, SOAR!

BTW, I sleep with two catgirls. If I wake up before they do I find myself trapped in bed, sandwiched between two fuzzy lumps. If one of them wakes up first, she will tickle my ear with her wet nose and purr at the top of her lungs.

Stephanie (in Victoria)

Baba Yaga said...

Bikini good. Bikini wax bad. Who wants their interesting bits to look like a skinned rabbit? Ewwww. (Anyway, ow.)

Planting things is good for hope. You can see spring coming. Watermelon seeds? Sunflower seeds? I'd send you some, but I think customs would confiscate them. Anyway, I don't think there's a busty female seed free in every packet.

Resting is good. Apparently it really does help with doing. Just fancy.

Neil said...

A flight of whimsy is good now and then, dear. But I can't do the rock chick attitude very well. Sorry, it's just the way I am: male. But I can do frustrated for you, if that helps.

Spring is coming? I see a slight light blue tinge in the eastern sky a 7 a.m., so it IS getting lighter out. But spring is not here yet. Maybe next week.

One flight of fancy coming up! I'm off to a medieval event tomorrow, in Saskatcon, and I won't be able to read your blog until Monday. But I'll wear a decidedly non-medieval wristband for you.

Whimsical love and hugs,
Neil

Victor Kellar said...

Thanks for the post. Here in eastern Ontario Spring is being a bit wicked. After a week of above zero temps and the snow melting, we are back into the deep freeze

So images of bikinis and cat girls doing odd things in bed was just what I needed

This year thoughts of falling and flying will be a theme in our household. Collette is preparting for a new job, a promotion if you will, and I am considering a new career. So her wings will need to spread to catch the updrafts and soar; and my wings will need to curl to help catch and prevent the inevitable crashes from being too severe

Come on Spring. Daddy wants a new BBQ

Abi said...

I note with concern that you may be buying a very well-padded bikini top. I would advise caution in this endeavour. I have some experience of these items, and am happy to provide you with a bit of insight into their ways.

The bit of insight is that they tend to hold a lot of water. If you get wet, they will drip initially (you can squeeze them out, which is very satisfying but which I expect looks a bit strange), and will then just spent the next few hours giving you two very damp patches on whatever fabric happens to me on top of them. For me, this tends to be the towel initially (I like to read on the beach), and ends up being a summer dress. I am one classy lady.

Of course, I am sure that Linda would be willing to assist with the emptying of the reservoirs, so this could actually be a positive point. You could find that the water helps to keep you cool. Or it could be that Japanese bikinis have found some innovative solution to this problem, thus negating my whole ramble.

One of my dreams would be to avoid having to resort to such bikinis. I know, however, that the only way that is going to happen is if I put on hideous amounts of weight, in which case a bikini would not be such a smart move. Perhaps the early stages of pregnancy might provide me with a voluptuous window, but that would be fleeting and I probably wouldn't feel good. So yeah, not really going to happen!

Other dreams? Too numerous to list! Right this moment I want my house move (starting this evening!!!) to go smoothly, with minimal aggravation. Not likely!

Oh, I am being so negative. Dreams I have which will probably happen (one day) are becoming an organ builder and getting to climb round random old buildings and organs, and also actually being able to play the thing well.

I love the way you are so encouraging of dreams, and I am delighted that you are succeeding at the looking after yourself thing, with rest and watching movies!

Veralidaine said...

I love the picture of the winged girl inviting you to fly with her. It is good to see you playful and dreaming. I am going to hold you to that promise of pictures of your bikini-- only I am with Yanub, I say you should wear it to Sakura Con! Add some wings and some anime-style hair, accessories, and boots, and you can be cosplaying a uh.... Beach Angel?

Thanks for the whimsical blog; it's been a stressful week. I got your latest postcard yesterday. Thank you. Your favorite uke couple are adorable! My roommate has become quite blase about the constant stream of ukes at this point... he saw this one and only said "Oh, those two look a little less like prepubescent women than usual!" I am not sure if he meant they look manly or that they look like mature women, but either way he seems to have gotten used to the yaoi cards!

Ok, you want to know about my dreams and wishes? This is taking me a long time to think of some, because this has been one of those weeks that just step on you and grind your whimsical side into the ground.

Here is a dream of something possible: I want to run for public office. Yeah, me, the shy, anxious one who sometimes can't even reply to an email because it is too much social pressure. I know. Weird, right? But I love politics. I can speak to crowds of hundreds and I'm fine. It's just relationships with people I care about that are scary. I can't get hurt by a crowd of strangers, because what they think doesn't matter at all, compared to the opinion of one person I love.

Elizabeth McClung said...

Raccoon: Yes, now that quote is driving me mad, pratchett, right?

Nice pictures, thanks. Yes, I imagine the birds would have a bit more to worry about!

Yanub: Well I was going to say wack me on the side but I didn't want to encourage abuse! Yes, I forgot that, the hairballs, and scratching on doors. I will definately trick out my chair and see what I can get away with at Sakuracon.

I am glad it was a fun post, we need fun around here, and other places around the world!

Stephanie: I haven't seen them yet, are they by the parliment where they are out?

That's great, spontanous creativity is fantastic - it is like you forget how good it feels (now I make it sound dirty).

Yes, catgirls like attention, and when they are awake everyone should be, right?

Baba Yaga: I am going for a bikini not a brazilian, I haven't quite done that yet - yow! Yes, it would be nice if the busty female came WITH the sunflowers, I think a lot more guys would be into gardens then!

Resting helps with doing, yes, but I keep getting the mix wrong I think a little rest means doing twice as much!

Neil: I am sure that a guy who is so proud of his sarong can find in the inner rock chick!

Well, while here spring tends to talk loudly about how great it is, in Sask, it literally screams as the grass grows to needing to be cut every other day - trees ERUPT with leaves, buds and blooms - everything is in a hurry when spring arrives in Sask.

Wow, you have a LOT of medieval events - I didn't know Sask was so rocking.

Victor: I am glad, yes, it has sunny days, then it snows for two days here - but not as bad as you have it. But time to rejoice when things are starting to frustrate with bleak.

Lots of Changes up ahead, it is nice to see partners find themselves in new roles; and I hope your new job is satisfying too.

As for BBQ's, Linda wants one, but we used to send Canada Tire ads to people in the UK for humor as the $500 BBQ grill that expands and does all sorts of things is a bit confusing to them who buy the disposable one for like $10. They think, "Are all North Americans Rich, or just obsessed with giant BBQ's?"

Abi: thank you for that very VISUAL discription, actually I think the squeezing out of my padding will only add to the goggle factor at Sakura-con and male frustration so that is sort of an added feature as is the wet spots to give people the 'look here please' notification.

Well, I think pregnancy to get a few months of great boobs for bikinis is a bit much, besides, I had the hormonal mix up thing and started lactating and was perky and all and I can say this: "OWWW!" - and apparently implants are like unbelievably painful so I will go with what I can have - sadly. Curse thee genes!

Go dreams, good luck with the house move.

Donna Lee said...

I have to go to the store to find flowers to smell but I promise to get out there and find some this weekend. Because in a month it'll be spring and I'm ready NOW! Thanks for the reminder and for the whimsy. I can feel the wings unfurling as I type.....

Elizabeth McClung said...

Queen slug - sorry, but your picture was causing the explorer to crash so I had to delete your comment in order to allow others to comment - but I will put your comment up and respond, I just had to take down the official one as it was causing a crash. Sorry.

wendryn said...

Just to clarify: Douglas Adams.

"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] suggests, and try it.

The first part is easy. All it requires is simply the ability to throw yourself forward with all your weight, and the willingness not to mind that it's going to hurt.

That is, it's going to hurt if you fail to miss the ground. Most people fail to miss the ground, and if they are really trying properly, the likelihood is that they will fail to miss it fairly hard.

Clearly, it is the second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.

One problem is that you have to miss the ground accidentally. It's no good deliberately intending to miss the ground because you won't. You have to have your attention suddenly distracted by something else when you're halfway there, so that you are no longer thinking about falling, or about the ground, or about how much it's going to hurt if you fail to miss it.

It is notoriously difficult to prize your attention away from these three things during the split second you have at your disposal. Hence most people's failure, and their eventual disillusionment with this exhilarating and spectacular sport.

If, however, you are lucky enough to have your attention momentarily distracted at the crucial moment by, say, a gorgeous pair of legs (tentacles, pseudopodia, according to phylum and/or personal inclination) or a bomb going off in your vicinity, or by suddenly spotting an extremely rare species of beetle crawling along a nearby twig, then in your astonishment you will miss the ground completely and remain bobbing just a few inches above it in what might seem to be a slightly foolish manner."

Sorry it's so long - you can delete it if you need to - but I love that piece. :) Go figure!

Beautiful pictures. You manage to pick the best ones for what you are writing!

I hope the next several days give you more reasons to keep hoping.

We're still kind of in winter here, although not with snow - just still very chilly some mornings! I liked being able to think about spring and growing things and new life for a little while. Thank you very much for the flight of fancy!

Lene Andersen said...

thank you for the fun, it was very much needed. I've had my head so far into musts and can't for a while that I'd forgotten about the sun on your skin and playfulness. I need to do a bit of thinking about flying, because right now, I'm too busy being gobsmacked at the realization that there are wings, probably atrophied from lack of use, but wings nonetheless. It's time to start exercising them again so I can fly or at least try to. Will let you know the particulars of the plan later.

Stephanie said...

The cherry blossoms I saw were in Esquimalt, but over in your part of town the first place to get them is usually along View St. behind London Drugs (the street runs through an old marsh). When you are out and about this weekend, take a roll over there and check it out.

Tammy said...

Great post!!!!!
I received a gorgeous postcard today with beautiful stamps of kitties and pawprints. AWESOME! thankyou for sending it. It really brightened my day.
I didn't comment on your previous post, but I wanted to let you know I'm still here and I care so very much.

Anonymous said...

While winter in Vegas was mild, my winter was harsh, bitter, freezing, and alone. A lot of self-examination, self expression, and fighting for answers! I continue to fight and have dreams for the Spring. Dreams where I fly out of this oppressive apartment to become an advocate for the disabled and lonely. Quality of life is living to me and a hand outstretched as well as a listening ear can help enormously.
Fly with gusto Beth! Approach the Spring of your dreams!
Bronwyn

Neil said...

I just realized that it I looked at your dying body, it would be creepy of me. 'cause I'm more than a thousand kilomtres away, and I don't have cameras in your apartment. :)

No stalking here!

Too tired to make proper sense and sending love and hugs anyway,
Neil

FridaWrites said...

I'm going to go look at daffodils this weekend--I need outdoors.

cheryl g said...

I want to nap with the bikini girls too...

I am definitely for the flying and I will start limbering my wings. We can fly around Sakuracon. I'll be the one NOT wearing a bikini.

My daffodils aren't blooming yet but the snow has melted off of them again. I am very ready for spring.

Raccoon said...

Wendryn, I thought it was "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" rather than "The Hitchhikers Guide..."

But yes, a great passage. Then (if I remember correctly) it goes on to describe Arthur and his girlfriend scaring passengers on a jet...

I've sent a couple of links to you about Catwings.

kathz said...

No daffodils here yet but last wweekend, when I was feeling a bit down, I headed down to the nature reserve and suddenly came across a carpet of snowdrops and pale mauve crocuses. See the post on my blog and scroll down to the end for the photo. (I hope I did the html tag properly.) It was only a little, local walk when we happened to have some unexpected sunshine but since then I've been seeing signs of Spring everywhere. And it looks as though there will be one or two daffodils in my garden - and a hyacinth too.

My cat, who is ginger and called Joe, has just come in and sends you feline greetings. He looked at me very intently and I'm sure that's what he was conveying.

I hope you have a good weekend.

Elizabeth McClung said...

Queen Slug Comment: You know I had forgotten how easy & fun it is to fly. Thank you for that, I needed it.

Now I gottta say I also vote for the bikini & Sakura-con together & don't forget the pics!

Queen Slug: Yes, winter does press us down quite a bit, and I think if there is a good summer day, I will wear them together, but where can I buy a good bikini this time of year?

Veralidaine: I tried to find white wings this year with Halloween to go for Sakura-con but they didn't sell them - alas! But I still have my black ones. I do like the idea of having a bikini, except I am so SHY! Well, not really but a crowd of guy geeks and me arriving in a bikini?

I am glad you liked the Ukes, I do try to make you have some good things in life. And I am glad the roommate um, liked them? I did put on the sticker of my favorite couple!

yes, I know those weeks, I am sorry you had one.

And I think that is a great dream. I think if you know you dream, then when you see ways to head that direction, little steps, little steps, that you will take them, or at least the chance is there. So I do believe you will one day (not like tomorrow unless your day is free?), run for public office, because I know you care so much, that you would be a great asset to any public office.

Donna Lee: Yes, I hope you get a good sunny day and some nice time in a flower shop and maybe see a few buds on trees or is it still WAY deep under snow? Spring will come, we just need to keep reminding ourselves. I am glad you liked the post, thank you.

Wendryn: Wow, that was a pretty impressive memory if you wrote that from memory - no I like the piece to stay in!

I am glad you liked the pictures, I spent extra long picking them, about 3 hours, from the last several months. I thought that if I had a week where I needed to remember how to fly and have some spring and whimsy, other people did too, so I am glad that it was a good read.

Lene: Now I am all in waiting for these plans, you know how I like PLANS. I know it is all snow there but sun will shine and I have something coming for you - I asked the person to get it here faster because I thought you needed it NOW. I hope it will be with you in a week? Maybe as it still hasn't arrived. But I haven't forgotten you - eternal spring.

Stephanie: Thanks, I am very close to View street, used to live there (in the Tower), so I know the blossom you talk about, I will look out for them. I think this is the time when squirrel chase each other instead of coming for peanuts!

Tammy: I have been thinking of you a lot and I am glad you liked the post and I am very glad you liked the postcard and that it brightened your day. The last one was heavy so this is light, lighter than air. We need times like that. Thanks

Bronwyn: Yes, it seems to have been a very difficult winter for a lot of people, a harsh winter. I was determined, I am NOT going to die this winter, and become another statistic - And I am glad that spring is in sight, maybe not here yet but in sight, and we can plan all our flights and dreams.

Neil: Um, thanks for no cameras in the apartment - but since I used to deliberately flash the peeper the next block over, you can tell I am both shy AND demure!

Cheryl: What, no bikini? But you will help me find one right? I need help finding the right bikini, one that says sexy and that these ribs you see are hot, not creepy dead girl.

With all the animals you are seeing from your window I am sure that buds are coming up and spring is on the move, I hope it comes to you soon as well. And onto sleeping with bikini cat girls!

Raccoon: thanks for the links and the stuff on catwings (and bloody hello kitty - awwww!)

Kathz: Thanks, I did follow the link and the pictures were great, it looked like the kind of day that makes all the grey slate and slabs look beautiful and the world minted new. I really enjoyed that post.

Thanks for the message from Joe, regardless if you went and gave him a treat afterward.

wendryn said...

You're right - it was from Thanks For All The Fish. I forgot. I didn't write it from memory, but I liked it so much that I typed a copy into my computer, just that bit.

I hope everyone finds a bit of spring and hope today!

A. J. Luxton said...

when the email came this week from a woman saying she had read my blog and that I looked to be the good, GOD-FEARING and upright husband for her, I was a little confused

Hahahaha.

Save it somewhere, and if you get a hate mail, re-read that one to remind yourself how little touch some people have with reality. :-)