Well, this is the long and short of it. Because Cheryl came over and verified my seizures which have also been verified by the home care workers, my GP was notified of this today through Victoria Island Health Authority. He was told this by a nurse Edriss who has told me SHE is the only person who can come up with my care plan and give it to Beacon, and will not take any instruction from a GP OR a specialist. Her instructions for LIABILITY reasons, is to use standard protocol and to send me to the hospital for EVERY seizure, not simply put my head back and wait for 30-40 minutes. Nope, the workers are not legally trained to assess seizures and so must send me to the hospital EVERY TIME. This was decided by her, and now the RN at Beacon has been calling all my workers (while I am there) to tell them if they DON’T call 911, they will get disciplined. The only way to stop this is if I am assessed ith epilepsy (and even then it is HER decision if they should 'allow' me to have the seizure). So I guess $85 bill 10 times a week coming up? But wait...there's more!
The news of my seizures from Cheryl and VIHA has prompted my GP to call my neurologist because HE, my GP, (for liability reasons), cannot prescribe me Dilantin or any common anti-seizure drug without the NEUROLOGIST telling him to. So he calls Dr. Atwell-Pope (the one who thought I had conversion disorder and thus the tests would prove I have no nerve damage....except I HAVE nerve damage and thus her conclusion was that I MUST have conversion disorder and to lock me in a NeuroPsych unit). My GP and I agreed back then that the idea was currently pointless and if nothing had improved in a year or so we would consider it. I have not yet filed my complaint against Dr. Atwell-Pope with the College of Physicians, so she is still the Neurologist of Record. My GP wanted me admitted to the hospital here so that I could get observed and registered as an epileptic or with some other type of seizure as the number of them seems to be increasing (he believes they are temporal lobe seizures). BUT it turns out that in the last year the number of Neurologists with hospital privileges in Victoria has fallen from four to ONE (Dr. Bill Martin – long list to see him!). So without waiting a year and seeing Dr. Bill Martin I CAN'T be treated in Victoria's hospital for a Neruological problem (no seriously, this is true!).
Dr. Atwell-Pope has instead called Vancouver and her mentor for an 'emergency booking' (all this happened this morning, Linda was called this afternoon) and I am now booked to be put into the Neuro-Psych ward for indefinite observation within two weeks (they call, I am to go, might be tomorrow!). I cannot take my computer, my hospital bed, my air conditioners, my medicine or my oxygen. And while I “should” be able to leave, it will be at the determination of the specialists (including Dr. Atwell-Pope’s mentor on Conversion disorder!). Needless to say, I am not very optimistic as Linda said to my GP, “Many, many times, specialist have told Elizabeth, ‘if you don’t do what we tell you to do, we will lock you up.’” He asked if that was here in Canada or in the UK. She said Canada.
I just finished talked to my GP and it appears that the ONLY way I will get treatment is by diagnosis. The GP stated the ONLY way is a) enter the Neuropsych unit because my seizures are increasing and I can’t go to the Victoria Hospital or b) Go down to the States, get a diagnosis there and come back with the diagnosis which can then be treated. He reminded me that I myself said that it could be conversion (I believe I said, “I would RATHER it be conversion than the alternative, but since my nerves ARE destroyed, I see no need to continue down that path.” At which point he agreed) and while he doesn’t think it will be that in the Neuropsych they will do ALL the tests, including, yes, an psychological assessment and treatment of me. But that I will get other hospital tests too.
The problem is, since I cannot get a needle without Linda as part of the protocol (she acts as the tourniquet), and I have found specialists, particularly ones in psych wards to ignore whether the patient has a needle phobia compared to their own desires. That means if they try to give me a needle, I will “act out”, which means I WILL almost certainly be put in restraints and then given needles or have blood drawn anyway. This I honestly believe will make me insane, as it would be for me to be abused, or tortured (and then be 'assessed' on coping by my torturers) and create PTSD or dissociation or fugue states if I am forced to have these tests without having the control to stabilize my phobia. Or rather, aside from my physical health, I see this as a FAST trip to being “classified” due to the stimulus I will be getting, rather than actual observation as people like Cheryl or others have done.
Linda has already said she is unsure how exactly I am supposed to sleep with this. Not this afternoon but like....ever. Knowing a call to be 'locked up' could come at any time. Because I guess, with my fear of being locked up and given needles, why do I end up being locked up in a PYSCH ward because I am PHYSICALLY ill, because I cannot convert oxygen, have anemia, have nerve destruction and the rest? My GP has assured Linda that if the doctor on the psych ward refuses to release me that he will help Linda get a lawyer and help fight to free me. But, if it comes to that, I will continue to be locked up during all that time. Needless to say, all they need to do is look at yesterday’s blog and they can do a “harm to self” clause and keep me there. I am terrified and being told that THIS, honestly, is the only way, I can receive treatment in Canada.
So, would YOU go?
3 hours ago