Sunday, March 30, 2008

So far...not so good! The first day.

I am writing this on the hotel computer (typo and spelling apologies). The PLAN was to proceed from Cheryl and the oxygen concentrator to the hotel, with a single stop: arrive at 4:00, take a nap, then a slow evening and a long overnight rest. That way next morning the three hours at the airport and the 10.5 hour flight and the 3.5 hour train ride won't seem SO horrid.

Well, first we stopped to pick up a $100 camera in case what happened two vacations ago happened again (Camera and pictures lost in water). Also, I can use this as my "Crip Cam" while Linda is off looking at the sights with stairs, and I am people watching. We managed to pick up a Canon that was the earlier model of the camera we have now so no big learning curve and hopefully can use the same software. I went to Borders where I was obsessed to find a book, which I finally remembered the author but they had sold the last copy (30 minutes on that grail hunt).

Unfortunately our drivers, while well meaning, got lost many, many times and this created high tension as well as extra due to traffic and other issues (like being stuck for a LONG time waiting for a parked train). I ended up in sort of semi-comatose mode where I am actually PRAYING to pass out, but don't, just feel worse and worse. I could not assist myself in and out of vehicle, or swallow, or have trunk or head self-support. We arrived at the hotel which we were assured was "completely quiet" by our drivers who booked it. It is not only at the junction of two major roads but UNDER a flight path. It took two valium and I don't know how much loss of sanity to get 90 minutes sleep.

Yesterday, due to a body meltdown, I did not sleep until 3:00 am. So today was going to be the "catch-up" day, where I got a full nap and 8+ hours sleep. Linda and I are right now making a reservation ELSEWHERE for coming off the plane as obviously the hearing of our drivers is slightly different than ours (and other humans who seem to hear planes going overhead every two minutes). So we are in the horrid position of HOPING that I can "catch up" and get some REAL rest while sitting upright on a plane for 10.5 hours. When that is your major hope, you know how screwed you are. There is also a plan to make a nest in the bathroom for me tonight in hopes to lessen the noise a bit.

This plan was based on making each day, yesterday and today so I got STRONGER heading toward the flight. That hasn't happened. I can't "will power" through my condition and deterioration when I don't sleep, and believe me, I have tried a LOT of prayer. Right now, as strange as it is to say, we are just hoping to sleep at least 6-7 hours tonight and then get to Japan and REST there (what sounds wrong with that plan?). Still no news on the train reservations. Lost swallow function and partial eyesight today but I think the rest I did take over the last week or so has given me a little buffer zone which has stopped complete degeneration. I have to hope I still have a bit of that buffer left. After the nap I was able to eat again, Linda kept putting pain and valiums in my mouth earlier and trying to get me to swallow so I could sleep (some worked). An act of love indeed.

Anyway, good thoughts, prayers, and any other immediate solutions would be appreciated. Off on the morning - just hoping for eight hours sleep between now and then (PLEASE!).

Well, this is why travel is never the same twice, eh? Always an adventure.

15 comments:

donimo said...

Wow, I'm amazed you found a bit of time to post. Sorry to hear about the noisy accommodations. My one small suggestion would be to keep your eyes open for a pair of "Ohropax" (from Germany) earplugs. They are a very soft wax that you warm up in your hands and then squish into your ears. They are a world beyond foam earplugs - you can actually hear yourself blink. I am a very light sleeper and use these all the time. You can still hear high pitched things like fire alarms while wearing them, but they cut out traffic, snoring and other rumbly noises.

Maybe with an eyemask, earplugs and a valium or two you will be able to sleep in the plane. I'll hope for that.

And yeah, now might be the time to use any crip privileges you can get. I would tend to look less able on my way through airports and found that this made the trip a little easier. I don't think I checked my pride at the door (or gate, as it were), I just worked the system. Think of it as subversive and not submissive!

kathz said...

I hope that's the last hiccup in your plans. Happy travelling - you're nearly there now. (Perhaps you will already be in Japan when you read this.)

Stephanie said...

Flying on a wing and a prayer.

I will be shaman-dancing you in my dreams tonight. May the energy be there for you when you need it.

Anonymous said...

"Completely quiet," compared to what? A hangar? Rehearsal space for the Jackhammer Symphony Orchestra? The mind boggles.

May the flight be smooth and the Valium effective!

~yakiikaonastick

Dawn Allenbach said...

Thinking of you every day.

cheryl g. said...

Gleeps... I am sending mental telepathy sleep hypnosis suggestions your way so you do sleep on the plane.

Victor Kellar said...

I have only one suggestion to help with the sleep situation. Rent an Oliver Stone movie. Any Oliver Stone movie but I would recommend Any Given Sunday. Makes me sleepy just thinking of it.

Good luck. Don't know if it counts if an atheist prays for you, but I'll do my best

Perpetual Beginner said...

I think "quiet" in hotel terms translates to "No one is specifically trying to wake YOU up." I.e. random background noise doesn't count, no matter how loud - that's white noise, and don't people put on white noise to go to sleep?

Sort of like, on a Florida vacation "on the water" turned out to mean "near a pool", rather than by the actual shore line.

Best of luck with getting some real sleep!

Veralidaine said...

You are feeling sleepy, very very sleepy...

I'm hoping you will get some sleep on the plane (I always sleep on planes- and when a passenger in cars or on trains- vibrating engines make me instantly tired!) and will be bright eyed and bushy tailed by the time Linda is ready to start dragging you around to feed deer and not stare in monkeys' eyes.

FridaWrites said...

Good luck, hope you're getting some of the sleep you need!

saraarts said...

Oh, my goodness! I hope you got some rest, and that the flight is over and you are alive and well and in Japan and starting to have fun already.

Fingers crossed. xoxoxoxo

Raccoon said...

Wait, you got a camera for Crips? Give me info! Make and model! Can you use it when your right hand clenches?

I've got a candle lit.

Tammy said...

This is my first time posting on your comments, but I have been reading your blog for a very long time. I am SO excited for you and Linda. I just wanted you to know that my thoughts are with you, I wish you both the best of time on this well deserved vacation, and I'm SO looking forward to reading your postings on Japan.
Bon Voyage!

yanub said...

Surely, it can only get better. Right? I'm going to think so, envisioning you getting a restful sleep in surprisingly comfortable seats on the plane.

Take care of yourself. Insist on good treatment. Use every trick you can think of to get what you need, and don't think twice about doing so. You deserve all the help you can wrangle out of anyone.

Marla said...

Yikes. Okay....I will be praying for you throughout the day. Hugs.