Sunday, February 03, 2008

10 easy steps to starting wheelchair badminton, and why you should!

Okay, this is the post about why you, the person with the disability, or person who knows a person with a disability should think about playing Badminton. There are 10 easy steps.

NOW, for the able bodied people who are thinking, “Okay, no panties, this isn’t for me, outta here!” please just please print it out and by now you MUST know someone with a chronic condition, so give it to them, to think about. Even a chronic pain condition.

First, why not promoting the boxing? I am beginning to realize that no sane person with a neuro condition takes up wheelchair boxing. Indeed the two able bodied coaches not only had that exact expression on their faces when I told them some of the down side (the 25-30 hours of pain, torn muscles, screaming), but said, “Why would you do that? When you could stop?” But, you know, for me, that’s what I do and that’s me.

Badminton is a whole OTHER type of sport where you get all the benefits of sports but really just SIT THERE.

All the time people are encouraging children and teens and girls and females to get into sports because of the team feeling, because of the confidence, because of the friendships, the association, the using mind and body together. But no one seems to be saying to chronic pain and neuro conditions and MND’s and a whole host of other conditions to try and find a sport (particluarly the females). So I am: Try and find a sport to participate in. I will try and convince you that badminton might be the one for you! Or if not that, how about ping pong?

What are the minimum requirements? I feel that if you can use built up utensils, you can hold a badminton racket (they are almost the same size…and grip). You need major arm function (like shoulder and elbow bending) and the ability to raise your arm over your head. And you need a wheelchair. I really recommend the wheelchair (but it is your choice). That’s about it. For example: while playing today I had virtually no small motor hand function at all. I could not catch the birdie, or sometimes pick it up, I had to use parts of my hands (like wrists or sides of hands) to bring it to my lap and then get two fingers to hold it, and let go when I wanted (for serving your doubles partner can hold and drop it on your command if this is an issue). I usually wrap my wrist to make sure I don’t sprain it (or have my PA wrap it). I grip the racket down my fingers using my thumb on top and squeeze (you could tape or use a wrap to hold it if you wanted) making a fist around it. Another woman today, who is a co-ordinator in badminton has a condition which causes her muscles to sprain so she had all sorts of devices supporting her arm and between matches (and points sometimes) she would go put more tape on her wrist or forearm to support it.

1) Get a wheelchair – a lot of people have conditions which do not absolutely require a wheelchair and so they don’t use one. There is a lot of mental junk about wheelchairs. But what I am saying is even if you have chronic pain or a type of back condition, badminton MAY be possible if you play in a wheelchair. Often the people who do not NEED to use a wheelchair also tend not to be in sporting activities, and usually not ones where they are treated equally. My feeling is that is a loss you don't have to have. So what if you can walk? Can you bend down or run and hit or squat for a low hit? No? Then use a wheelchair and leave those limitations behind.

So, instead of exhausting yourself standing or walking or trying lunges, get a wheelchair, borrow a wheelchair from a charity and come to a local badminton drop-in like the YMCA/YWCA or a rec center (after soccer/football, badminton is the second most popular sport in the world). While standing for 15 minutes might exhaust you, will sitting for 15 minutes and a couple time a minute moving your arm and making a little wrist movement tire you as much? No, I thought not. I will admit here, I don’t know how this will work for people with CFS/ME, Fibro/FMS, EDS, spine problems or like conditions but I would LOVE some feedback!

2) Find somewhere to play and see if they have rackets to borrow. Most places do. I have a little “rec. card” which allows my PA to join me at recreation centres for free like the Y and local centres. I pay $10 a month and play every Sunday, so that is $2.50 (actually Linda plays with me so that is $2.50 for both of us, an incentive for getting a friend to act as your PA). If you cannot afford it, see if there are any organizations who will pay for you or just tell the rec centre the truth: I have a disability that prohibits me from sports but I think I might be able to play badminton, can I try a few weeks for free and see if it works. Most rec centres usually have as a part of their organization that they exist so ALL members of the community may participate. That’s why I only pay $10 – I took in my disability and tax sheet for last year and got signed up as a “poor thing” – whatever! It gets me to play, that is what is important. Rackets are like $50 so you want to borrow FIRST.

3) Tell the coordinator you haven’t played and would like to practice warming up or practicing hits. Or print off this post and give it too him/her as well. The thing you need in a wheelchair is CONSISTANCY. You can’t step back and you certainly can’t go sideways so you need to know what your range of motion is and how to hit. For practicing, I find if you play on half of the singles line of the court, I find I can hit almost everything. So I spend some time every week practicing hitting back and forth usually with the director. My number one job as the person in the chair is to GET THE BIRDIE OVER THE NET. Let the AB people worry about smashes and drops and all that, just make it so you can hit one on the left, on the right, above you, and in front of you. And if you can't do those four, then know what you can do and what you can't so you can tell your partner when you play.

Now, I have delayed response in my neural pathways. Does not matter. This isn’t tennis. You have, on a high hit, about 2 or more seconds until that birdie comes to you, so if you know to think, “Hit now” and your arm finally twitches at the right time – all good. And because you are lower down, and sitting in the middle of the court, middle of the way back, you have even MORE time to see the birdie coming (when you miss just say, “Lost sight of it in the lights…”).

4) Play doubles – once you have warmed up and know you can hit the birdie and hit it 5 or 6 times in a row (try to just back and forth to 10 a few times) then ask to join a doubles game. Doubles is about mixing up strong and weak players and working with each other. Also unless you are an SCI or wildly athletic, how are you going to cover the whole court? You can’t. But in doubles you take your 35%-40% of the court that you can cover and let your partner cover the rest. This may seem like you aren't pulling full weight. Get over it; different people are paired in doubles so you will likely be facing a stronger and a weaker player. So you aren't the only one out there who is leaning on the stronger player: it is part of the game. Traditionally in mixed doubles the “ladies” play up a bit leaving the guys to run around the whole back and corners and for me, for now, this sexism works just fine!

5) How much effort is it really? Okay, I really recommend wrapping your hand and wrist in an athletic bandage the first several weeks because you can’t step back so if there is a high long hit you will drop your arm back and then flick the wrist (a quick trip to a sprain). If you have torso control, this will give you a lot more range as you can lean this way and that and even turn a bit and as the birdie goes over your head, face toward the back of the court and hit it BACKWARDS over your head (and towards the net). But if you don’t have a lot of torso control, you still have your reach. The basic shot is hitting the birdie in the middle of your racket with a flick of arm or wrist which will arc it high and over the net to your opponents. If it is to the side, just swipe at it like a tennis racket, if it is in front of you, just flip up like you are trying to flip pancakes. The less you push or flick, the less it goes, and if you let it hit almost dead, then it will tend to drop right over the net in a “drop” and everyone will think you are “Deadly” instead of “tired.” Want to know how much effort you need? Get someone to put the tip of a pen in your fingers (the majority of pen above your fingers) and sit about four feet from the wall. Now try to flick your arm or wrist or both to try and hit the wall with the pen. If you can do that, you can return a hit and be a player in badminton.

6) Use every aid at your disposal. You know your condition best and if you need to put a support or sling on your elbow so you don’t fully extend it or overextend it, then do it. If you need to take a break every five points, tell people. Even in a game they can always do a bit of two on one until you are ready to go again. Most drop ins have a mix of good and beginning players and they recognize that you don’t know the game. Ask and they will tell you the rules (serve underhand, which lines for singles and doubles play, serve to opposite court), and just tell them what your limits are. Another reason I wrap my wrist is to stop arm spasms from affecting me too badly, as it is somewhat embarrassing to be ready to serve and suddenly hit the birdie 90 degree from the court. I tied down my legs for the same reason.

7) Playing in a wheelchair. Okay, I think if you are going to play in a powerchair you should probably stick to a few partners and tell them where you are likely to go. Yes, while you may be hot stuff in the chair, running over your partner while they are trying to cover you in case you miss the shot is not considered nice. First few weeks I sat on my side, a foot or so behind the serve line and covered that section and my partner covered the rest. I could not get drop shots right at the net. I could not get the shots in the corner but the rest of hits that came near me I could hit. My job first was to hit it back. Get it over the net, be consistent.

Let your partner do the smashes and stuff, just get that sucker back over the net. And when you swing and miss….remember, “I lost it in the lights.”

As you get more confident you might want to move to the centre just ahead of the service line (as the rackets are small, I can wheel with the sides of my hands to there). I go after a few hits when the opposition has done a long hit which my partner will return (giving me those 2 seconds to get into position and 2 seconds more as they hit the return), and when I get there I call out, “I’m in!” so he/she knows what they need to cover. Why this spot? Because you stick up your racket and if they try to drop anything over the net, you will hit it back, if they hit towards you, you are close enough to the net to give them a “smash” or a higher speed return. This forces your opponents to either hit to you and HOPE you miss or instead make long high hits which go over your head, but which give your partner plenty of time to hit back and do “smashes” and “drops” and whatever they want to do. But talk it over with your partner on what they want. Some partners will be wishy washy and this will be annoying. In these instances just keep saying, “It is just a game.”

8) Communication on court. Because able bodied people don’t play with people in chairs that often (or EVER) they are not used to how you return or how much area you can cover. This includes your partner. So calling, “Mine” or “Yours” as soon as you see this is out of your reach is important. Often a good partner will back you up so if you miss a birdie going over your head, they will hit it back. That’s also why it is important to let them know when you are changing position. But it also means that your partner may be a little surprised when you hit a backhand at far reach (and surprise the opponents too). You may get points at the beginning because your opponents have no clue what your range of motion is (and you hit it back and they just stand there staring at you).

9) The back court flick. This is something the director made me work on for the first two weeks and it is how I get the majority of my points. He kept asking, can you flick hard enough to send the birdie arcing all the way to the back two lines? So we practiced and practiced until I could and today, I got about 8 points simply by hitting it over the heads of people who thought, “Oh, girl in wheelchair, move up closer”, kind of made up for all those junior high softball days when the pitcher called the outfield in whenever I came up to bat. Also, just a tip, in serving, often turning the chair will place the birdie more accurately in the corner you want. For the flick you can use the three lower fingers, the wrist, the follow through or any combo that works for you.

10) Stop before you think you need to. Okay, you have adreneline and you feel good and you played some doubles and you think you could do another game. Be smart, listen to your PA (Don’t be like me!), and thank everyone and tell them you will see them next week. Find out how this will effect your body and give the people your best game – it is a win/win. The whole group setting and the team play can be VERY addicting but seriously, work into it slowly. You don’t want to find out you can’t move your arm the next day if you use a wheelchair for a lot of your movement. Also, you may notice that your partner is dripping sweat and you, besides your arm are feeling quite rested – THAT IS THE POINT! Don’t get guilty, just say, “I like this badminton.”

So, that’s it. It is up to you to find a rec centre and give it a go. You can see where my chair is in the pic, I would be maybe a foot further back to start. Linda played “a little” in junior high and she is doing great (so great she has no time to take photos of me). For me, there is nothing like that feeling of being part of a group, particularly if you spend a lot of time at home, not able to go out much. And to find a sport where you SIT THERE and spend the energy to flick a few pens at the wall and have your partner say, “Great job” or “Good hit” or “Nice save”. So yeah, I’m not able bodied anymore, but I’m part of a ‘team’ and I do contribute, even if some points it is just being ‘the threat at the net’ and they just keep lobbing over me. Contributing and being part of a team and playing a sport feels pretty good (unless you ignore number 10 and regret it a few hours later.) Give it a try!

28 comments:

Katrin said...

Sounds like a fun game. If only I had some sense of hand eye coordination it might be worth a try...LOL

It's funny. eye foot coordiantion I'm much better at. Thing is when you step on a dog leash with a dog going full speed at another dog/squirrel/cat/ball, usually the dog still wins and you wind up on the floor as your feet fly out from under you and you think, "What the hell was I thinking??!!"

One thing I have wondered is, what do you do if sitting with your legs bent at the knees downward, as you sit in most wheel chairs or in any regular upright chair, causes you to loose circulation and then lots of insuing discomfort and pain?

If I'm sitting for a prolonged period of time (anything more than 5min), I have to have my legs out to some degree either in a reclining chair with a foot rest, use an ottoman, sit on the floor, sit cross legged with my feet under me (also loose circuation from that, but seems to cause less pain), rest them on top of my dog, keep my feet somewhat extended in front of me, etc because of the circulation issue. So I have been curious about if that happens to others.

FridaWrites said...

I haven't used a manual wheelchair, but how do you move quickly enough to catch the shot? What I mean is, one limitation I'm finding is that I can't move in two dimensions at once. If I'm already pointed one way, it sometimes takes a couple of maneuvers to head the right way, and once you're heading that way, say diagonally, it takes two adjustments if I then needed to go straight backwards, and I might not be able to position in the exact spot I want. Speaking electrically, of course.

I haven't tried a manual since my upper spine is weak, assumed I wouldn't be able to, though I could be wrong.

alphabitch said...

I love badminton, and I think that sounds really fun. I will have to see if I can find a chair to borrow. Of course, wheelchair boxing is really more appealing to me :)

Veralidaine said...

Hmmm.... do you think maybe if I find myself a wheelchair I could play badminton? Cause I can't play it NOW, and my limbs all works fine!

I stink at sports. But I can ride a horse through your badminton court any day, so there!

lilwatchergirl said...

While standing for 15 minutes might exhaust you, will sitting for 15 minutes and a couple time a minute moving your arm and making a little wrist movement tire you as much? No, I thought not. I will admit here, I don’t know how this will work for people with CFS/ME, Fibro/FMS, EDS, spine problems or like conditions but I would LOVE some feedback!

While I absolutely LOVE the idea of doing sport from a wheelchair, it can't be anything involving a racket and/or a ball. Like lots of EDS-ers, I have proprioception issues and dyspraxia. I've never been able to hit or catch a ball (or ride a bike, or eat with chopsticks, or walk in a straight line!).

But the principle of wheelchair sport is FANTASTIC. And your 'get a wheelchair and get out there, people' attitude is superb. :D Now I just need advice on a wheelchair sport I can do despite having really, really terrible coordination.

cheryl g. said...

Awesome post! Sadly, I'm in the same boat as veralidaine. I have depth perception problems so my hand eye coordination with rackets and paddles sucks.

FridaWrites said...

There's always yoga...wahahahaha...(everyone's always telling me yoga will fix me).

Katrin, I don't have general circulation issues, but I too find that I need a footrest, need legs extended beyond the 90 degrees at hip, 90 degrees at knee. As a matter of fact, there was a study recently that showed that most ergonomic chairs/seating isn't, and that people do best tilted back some. Your body knows intuitively what it needs. Without a footrest for me or being able to extend legs elevated at least slightly, terrible pain. That's why I need the (constant whine) decent scooter.

Elizabeth McClung said...

Katrin: Actually, many chairs have footrests out at an angle for that very reason, it is just that people who don't need to feel thier legs, like SCI's who can put feet vertically forever. Also, it depends on what cushion and back you use. But if you got your basic invacare chair, like one I am staring at right now, which was the first they gave me, the foot plates are individual and out at an angle to support your legs and ankles. Also, you know your own coordination but I am not very well coordinated and Linda is VERY not coordinated which is why she likes Badminton, she says, "Because the birdie moves so SLOW" indeed, you can even ask them to use a SLOWER birdie (they come in different speeds). But it is up to you, I am trying to think of a way to replicated hitting a dropping birdie but I can't think of anything that slow - maybe like those helicopters we used to make out of paper which twirled to the ground - could you hit one of those with a plate?

Frida: The secret is, you don't move. I am sorry if that was not made clear but you just sit there and hit what you can hit and your partner does the rest. Like a said, person hits birdie, goes up count one, count two coming towards you, you raise racket and swing at it (hopefully hit) and it goes back. That's pretty much the job of the person in the wheelchair. If you change positions, you change WHILE the birdie is in play and then you SIT THERE. This isn't wheelchair tennis (though there are some speciality badminton chairs for $4000) but for most people you just sit there and hit what comes near you. And then between points IF you are serving, you switch sides - that's about it.

alphabitch: I am not precluding either, I am just saying that as a entry level sport wheelchair badminton seems to have a pretty good entry threshold.

Veralidaine: Um, you could ask them to use a slower birdie? Also, I have to say it is much easier when you don't have to like...run and hit, use a bunch of limbs simultanously, this is just one limb, sitting still. But yeah, it isn't for everyone, I'm going to try horse riding if I can ever find anywhere affordable.

lilwatchergirl: I wondered about the EDS. But myself, I cannot walk a straight line (because apparently it is a side effect of dyslexia) nor do I have good co-ordinated movement (meaning more than one limb) - I can however become fairly decent if I just move one limb (hence, fencing). So that all concentration is just on one limb - but if that won't work, I guess ping pong won't either since it is about 20 times as fast and has a paddle about 10 times smaller. Hmmmmm....I'll think about it.

Cheryl G: Wait a minute......didn't you "Suck" equally to me at say.....air hockey? And didn't you kick my ass in hitting flippers at the right time? I see some seated testing in your future (with your consent of course).

Frida: Actually, I think Yoga sucks, becuase stretching exercises for people with regular muscles probably should be tailored for those with non regular which is why for example the MS society has its OWN yoga. And quite honestly, I never saw yoga as a "Team sport" - but if it makes ya happy. For footrests, see above, the same applies to back support, which varies from chair to chair (which is why for instance I have the BIG old back instead of the little back that SCI people have, because I need support, but I also have a cushion that helps that too)

cheryl g. said...

OK, I'll consent to testing.

My problem is in judging the additional length a paddle or racket adds to my arm. With the slowness of the birdie it might not be such a problem.

In air hockey there is no additional length to the arm. I also do well with handball. As for the flippers, that's reaction time I think.

I do suck at tennis, racquetball and ping pong - really I do.

Veralidaine said...

Hmmm.... you could always come out to the Wild West and we could go horseback riding at the Shady Dude Ranch. However, unless you have frequent flyer miles to waste (ha) a trip to CO is probably not worth it- much as I think you would enjoy giving the old pedophile who owns the dude ranch I'm thinking of a good left hook!

Elizabeth McClung said...

Cheryl: Well, Linda said, "Are you telling them how much I suck at regular ball things and how this is really goood because it is so slow." I assure her I am. The speed of tennis and racketball and pingpong is very fast compared to badminton (at least beginner badminton, whatever those pro people do is thier business) but the director was saying he was thinking of getting SLOW birdies (which move even slower) for more of the beginner doubles. So, yeah, when you come, we will give you our spare chair (which has the legs out to rest on) and we can go two block and see and mabye you're right but MAYBE you can come over and we can all go play badminton, which would be cool and us wheelie's can practice together.

Veralidine: No, no frequent flier miles I am afraid, and when is CO the "west" - it is like three states in, has the highest altitude city in north america. I am trying to see if I can find one of those "disability" riding places but I have this fear of like, a bunch of 7-11 years olds and ME.

Katrin said...

Excellent info, very good to know!

Hmm, I played badminton as a kid, in the summer for 'family gatherings' it was one of those games we played in the back yard. That and volley ball (I recall those balls hurt a lot more than a birdie when you got hit in the head with it, but anyway). I rather remember badminton as faster than you tell me it is. I found it pretty hard to guage when to move the racket and when to hit the birdie. Maybe we had some extra ordinarily fast birdies? I will have to look into this...

Elizabeth McClung said...

Cheryl: becuase, quite honestly, thinking about you lunging or reaching down for a hit makes me wince.

saraarts said...

Yay, how fun!

Now, you of course are very tall and have nice long arms. How well do you think a more petite wheelchair player would fare?

Another genteel game (not really; seen Heathers?) that I would expect to adapt very well would be croquet, plus it's outdoors. What do you think?

I can envision a country house party with badminton, croquet, some type of lawn bowling, lemonade or something stronger, and mixed teams -- and I don't just mean male/female, but mixed able-bodied-ness. Sounds delightful, no?

Hey, Lilwatchergirl (which my dyslexia always sees first as "Lilywatcher"), besides yoga, have you considered adaptive tai chi (which could also be done on a lawn at our country house party)? My true love teaches tai chi, and he is ALWAYS trying to get people with different kinds of stuff going on to try it. He's a true believer. He's also a very patient, gentle and imaginative teacher, and I know there are others around the world. I wonder if some form of this is something that could work for you?

Elizabeth McClung said...

Katrin: it could have been the size of the net, also, since the "family sets" they sell tend to have short nets, a regulation net is about 5'9" or so and since you have to serve underhand, the birdie goes in these arcs, yeah, there are some people who do smashes, but not at a beginner level (which makes me wonder how many guys there were in your family) - like we played 4 doubles games with 4 women yesterday and I don't think there was one smash or direct hit, just sort of who was inconsistant or missed first. It is one of the reasons I like it because it can be a very non-aggressive game (and I guess with four guys maybe a VERY agressive game, who knows), but more like, hit hard so the person backs up, they hit so you lean forward, you flip it up and they hit it past your head and your partner returns. That's pretty much what I have experienced in the weeks so far. The other thing is that if the birdy does hit your racket, pretty much AT ALL, it tends to go over the net, which is a big bonus over games like ping pong or tennis, and since you are strong enough to hit it hard enough to arc it SO far to hit it out, just hitting keeps the game going. If that makes any sense.

Volley ball on the other hand requires coordination and it HURTS when you have to bump - or it least it did for me.

Elizabeth McClung said...

Sara: well yes, obviously I cover a bit more net, but I still think it is good even if you have limited trunk movement and short arms, as long as you tell your partner. The arms just tell you where to park the wheelchair (a little closer to the net like 5 inches maybe and a little closer to one side and the partner will take the other). But Croquet is Brill! I mean even if you mixed team of wheelie and AB and were wheeled to your ball, that would work I think, as long as you had shoulder muscles (we could tape the arm to the mallet).

The only one I would have a problem with is lawn bowling, as I would probably drop the ball before I got to the throwing it bit. But good call and suggestion! Too bad rec centers don't do more croquet, hmmmmm.

cheryl g. said...

It makes me wince too...

FridaWrites said...

Oh, I think I like this sport. You were probably very clear--I was just up until 2 last night.

Horseback riding: okay, that's it, I'll move to Canada and we'll go horseback riding together. Oh, wait, the bureaucracy for PWDs and no disability act...otherwise Canada sounds preferable.

Steve Kearney said...

Hi. I am helping badminton get disabled athletes involved to compete in tournaments and hopefully get badminton as one of the sports in the ParaOlympic Games. Thanks for promoting and let me know where you play so we can put together a where to play book. Good job!

saraarts said...

The other great thing about croquet is you can do it anywhere you have open, flat space and dirt or grass or grass-like ground cover. I once played with some ladies in Alaska. We just brought their set to a public park that ran alongside the ocean and set it up to suit the space. So fun.

I can't remember how tight the spaces get, but I'm wondering if one could also rig a chair to wield a mallet in a pinch, especially on a power chair. It would just be a matter of duct tape, finesse, and a little help from someone else who can wield the duct tape. And of course there would need to be someone with the right muscles working to pound in the stakes and wickets. It's pretty basic, though, and that makes it very flexible.

Raccoon said...

Hey! I can't keep my legs verticals forever!

They swell too much.

As for the backs of the chairs -- it depends what level the injury is at. At the cervical levels (up in the neck), we tend to like high backs of some type of lateral support. And if the chair tilts, we like headrests.

Still, badminton sounds like it might be amusing to try once or twice. Let's see. Braces for the arms to keep them from flopping around? Check. Duct tape? Check...

Katrin said...

Ok, well we definately did not then have a regulation net and there was a LOT of testosterone running in these little family gatherings- 3 adolescent male cousins, 3 uncles and my father. All of the adults being rather big fans of a good brew, which ony seemed to heighten the competitive 'spirit'. In addition to my very, very competitive aunt who loved to pit 'girls vs boys', especially when 3 of the 'boys' were her husband & 2 sons, even though majority of us 'girls' really had no desire to 'win' the way she invisioned.

So, uh, yeah, you can connect the dots. And some people wonder why I'm not so much into 'team' sports unless my sole team mate runs on 4 feet, has a tail and barks.

Lisa Harney said...

This makes me want to play badminton, or ping pong... You're a good sell. :)

And yay on badminton continuing to be a viable sport.

I also wish I had something more substantial to say here, but my head's full of some nastiness that I'll post about tomorrow.

lilwatchergirl said...

You know, I've been thinking about your opening sentences here. Although wheelchair boxing would probably have me dislocating shoulders all over the place, it *might* not. That, or something similar, might be more my thing. Something that's mainly upper-body and where I don't need precise coordination.

You've actually got me thinking about what sports I could do. You may actually be achieving something none of my physios or doctors have been able to. :D

Gaina said...

I used to play badmington at school - hated every second of it. In fact, the only sport I enjoy is idiot-baiting :P (more of that in the next blog!).

My teacher had a racket cut down for me, to give me more control which was a great help, so anyone who wants to try badmington, bear in mind that this is a good modification to try.

It's also fun to put one person from your opposing 'doubles' team in a wheelchair! :)

I was well into my horse riding when I was in high school so I wasn't really interested in other sports but now I remember I played badmington at school, I might just give it another go now that I have - *gasp* - friends in my Art Class to play with! haha.

Oh and I'd just like to echo what you said about people not wanting to use a wheelchair - get over it!. Do you want to enjoy life on wheels, or be stuck inside for the sake of your pride? Trust me, the former is the way to go ;)

em said...

This is such a generous post, I really loved reading it. And hey, this must be challenging the sock post for highest number of comments. Yay.

Elizabeth McClung said...

Steve: I am in Victoria and so far (stares at Cheryl) the only one here in a wheelchair

Sara: Oh you! Flaunting your wild Alaskian Croquet days. No, you are right it does seem the most mixed adaptable sport.

Lisa: I think I am in the "crush" stage where I go around trying to convince everyone!

Lilwatchergirl: Cool! I think that might be because for me sport is about personal affirmation and what I CAN do and my big "nada nada!" to the world and an act of rebellion, while for doctors and PT, just saying what you "should" do makes it sound boring. Does to me anyway.

Gaina: Thanks for the tip on the cut down racket, quite honestly I don't know if I am going to do a 10 easy steps to 'Idiot Baiting'

I have wished I could do horse riding, but it was always too expensive. Still, seems like a good way to carry a lance. Sorry, did I actually say that.

em: good, does it make you want to play! Nope the sock post is like 10 or 15 more - PWD are BIG on socks! Even when I see someone I just met and I say "nice socks....Sock Dreams?" and it is usually yes.

Gaina said...

I have the '10 easy steps to idiot baiting' covered, don't worry. *wink*