Sunday, October 21, 2007

Are you a Camera Whore? Take the test!

Oh, Linda and I are SUCH camera and photo whores. We got back from a couple days away, literally 1.5 days of vacation in Port Townsend, WA to return with……258 pictures. Yup, we go places to take pictures, and more pictures. I hope tomorrow (or soon) I can explain why I had to add moderation to comments (It is not against any of the people who comment – I LOVE comments!). Until then, take this my little quiz (or add questions to it) to find out if you to are a CAMERA WHORE (and see some pictures of historic Port Townsend):

1) When people ask you, “Did you see anything good on your vacation?” do you reply, “I’ll let you know once I upload my pictures onto the computer.”

2) Did you buy that digital camera because you used the excuse how you “would save so much money” on developing?

3) Did you actually save hundreds to thousands of dollars a year on developing by BUYING the digital camera?

4) Do you take two pictures of everything....just in case?

5) Do you know where the sun is at all times in order for you to choose shots where they are lit best?

6) If your vacation is cloudy, have you ever actually run to multiple locations as quickly as possible when the sun has burst through for five minutes in order to get as many pictures as you can in sunlight?

7) Have you ever held your camera "casually" peeking through your jacket in order to take pictures at a place where picture taking is EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN? (And then excused your behavior by saying, "But how couldn't I take a shot of that?")

8) Have you ever tried to arrange people doing business like at a farmers market for “better framing?”

9) Have you ever shamelessly entered a building, and asked a complete stranger if you can take a picture of something you’ve seen through the window?

10) Have you ever been advised AGAINST taking your camera someplace and done it anyway? (like going kayaking?)

11) Have you asked your partner to distract a business owner so you can sneak in and take pictures of rooms and/or fixtures?

12) Have you ever climbed atop things like dustbins or walls in order to get “just the right angle?”

13) Do you take your camera with you while walking the dog, taking out the trash, going to a funeral, just “in case” you see a good pic?

14) Have you ever asked anyone to take you and your partner’s picture and then started a sentence, “Can you make sure you frame it with.....”

15) Do you feel, deep down, that something you did unrecorded by camera isn’t quite as real as things recorded?

16) Would you consider not packing enough batteries/memories cards a disaster on the scale of not packing your medication?

17) Have waiters/managers in restaurants asked you to return to your table/stop crawling between the pillars because you are looking for “the right shot?”

18) Have you taken an entire “alternate” version of your holiday pictures done black and white or sepia pictures?

19) If you happen to take a picture while your partner trips backwards and fall overboard, their face filled with terror, their body frozen halfway to the water arms outstretched, is your first thought, “What a lucky shot!”?

20) Do you have more pictures on your computer than MP3 files?

21) Have you almost been run down by cars while you stand in the street in order to get “just the right angle?”

22) Have you been chased out of someone’s garden for the same reason?

23) Have you ever tried to get your partner to stop on a highway/freeway/bridge with traffic behind them because “That’s a great shot!” (Linda once tried to make me stop in the middle of a ONE LANE bridge in the Dartmoors)

24)Have you ever taken a picture in an entirely dark room in the hopes your flash will get a great pic? (The cinema photo was taken after we had begged (with wheelchair and puppy eyes) to be let into the restored cinema. The room was totally dark, we couldn’t see each other and we kept shooting and readjusting the camera angle entirely by the digital display of the last shot)

25) Have you ever, on vacation, gone back to every place you went the previous day to re-shoot the pictures from yesterday because “the light is better?”

(Bonus) Have you ever explained to complete strangers how to use functions on their digital camera they didn’t even know were there?

So how was your score on Camera Whore? I got 25 out of 25, plus the bonus (Linda got 22 out of 25)!

11 comments:

Daniel, the Guy in the Desert said...

You totally had me with the picture of the light fixture. Then when I read of your glee at catching a shot of Linda's terrified fall, I laughed helplessly.
I'm such a non-camera whore...My camera is packed somewhere in the dozens of boxes in the garage.

Elizabeth McClung said...

Thanks! Linda and I are shameless photo addict enablers - I have a few photos of her up on bins and walls because she has climbed up there to get a good photo of me in the chair.

Linda read the blog as was going: "But everyone should take double shots, digital or not.."

and I said, "Of course YOU'RE going to agree with these, because you're a Camera Whore!"

And by the by, one of the pictures Linda is proudest of is one she captured JUST as my chair is flipping over backward with me looking at the ground I am going to smash into in terror.

tornwordo said...

I scored 10. I bow in the face of your camera whoreness.

Artistic Soul said...

Wow - that pinkish building is really striking. It reminds me of the central building in Inverness, Scotland -- which apparently was a castle and is now a prison. :o)

Jeannette said...

I got two for you from my days way back when I used to take pictures of everything all the time.

a) Have you ever been stopped by a police officer because he thought you might be in trouble or hurt based on your curled up position on the sidewalk as you tried to get the right shot?

b) Have you ever hung upside down from a tree limb in a public park to get the right shot?

:D

Jeannette said...

Also, please do post the photo of you going over backward :D

Sara said...

This is hilarious. I am going to send it to my family. I think they will get 25 out of 25, too.

What's ironic is that I'm the one who went to art school to become a photographer.

That said, I'll cop to 3, 4, 9, 10, 12, and 21. Oh, and both of Jeannette's.

Oh, and then there was the time my friends and I were asked to leave a veterans' cemetery because we were shooting images for her business card there (best one is here, and I honestly didn't know we needed permission or I would have asked first).

eugenie said...

Only got 17 - I've obviously got a little way to go yet, is there a sliding scale, since I didn't make Whore? Number 13 strikes a real chord though - I take my camera EVERYWHERE.

cheryl gilson said...

Great pictures. I don't currently qualify as a camera whore since I am sans camera at the moment.

Next time you cross the water to the Olympic peninsula would you care to meet for coffee? I live in Port Angeles but am frequently a Port Townsend visitor.

devacmg@excite.com

David C said...

Hmmm, only 15. But you should see the bag full of cameras lenses and stuff that I simply must have when I go on holiday ! My wife is very patient (except when she's off taking photos herself, I think she's catching the bug from me).

Kapiti777 said...

Hey I got 16 but I guess there's time yet .......

Do I get extra points for taking more that 2 shots ... sometimes a lot more...

Great test... thanks..