Sunday, September 23, 2007

Watching Bones and going to the Hospital

Linda and I have been watching Bones Season 2 together as she keeps me calm(ish) this weekend (jittery about going to hospital). We enjoy Bones because she is our hero with a slight case of Aspersers. Not only does she miss all social and cultural references, she has difficulty understanding social cues based on facial expression (and is traditionally bad at getting and making jokes). In one episode in Season 2 she is in the Interview Room with Booth, and Booth and the Suspect realize at the same time that the suspect has unwittingly implicated another person. They both fall silent. Bones jumps up and is going from one person to another staring in their faces saying, “Something happened; you communicated something to each other, you know something. What happened, you have to tell me what that was.” Also of course, she is desperate to participate in the social activities from which she has distanced herself and been excluded from traditionally.

It is just not often that someone who has such a condition is not only played sensitively, as the lead and put with a great counter character (the big boy-scout Booth), which gives them sexual and interactive tension. There is a scene where Booth is trying to explain to Bones why people talk to their dead loved ones at the graveside. Bones says slowly as if to a small but potentially dangerous child; “But they can’t hear them…..they’re dead.” (Which is almost identical to a conversation Linda and I had early on in our relationship).

Anyway, I am in the hospital now, so I will be absent a few days. I do not like hospitals, by the way, they are full of hospital smells and hospital noises and they have MANY pointy objects (I got another blood test done on Thursday, hooray!). I usually start telling the anesthesiologist all sorts of really embarrassing secrets for the 45 seconds I am totally high before I pass out. Or sometimes I just beg them not to kill me while I sleep. All I know is that usually everyone but me is laughing.

See ya in a bit.

16 comments:

kathz said...

Good luck in the hospital. I'll miss the blog and look forward to its return. I also have to think about the two memes I owe you. (It's a very long time since I counted how many books I have - I think the task would defeat me.)

(Back yesterday from visiting computer-less parents - hence hasty post)

Casdok said...

Glad you said Bones has slight asperger. I had wondered!
Good luck in hospital.

tornwordo said...

That sounds like an amusing character. And I like the image of you cracking up the staff in the hospital. Best of luck.

KateJ said...

I like the sound of Bones... haven't come across it over here (UK) but maybe it'll be shown at some stage.
Good luck and keep strong. I'll be rooting for you!

Artistic Soul said...

I love Bones!! I was worried it would get canceled early on -- the first few episodes of the first season weren't particularly strong, but I think it really hit its stride in the second season. Can't wait to see the third season premiere next week!!

Ruth said...

I've never watched Bones - thanks for the review. Good luck at the hospital!

Sara said...

Ah, I was wondering if Bones was any good. I will now Netflix it. Thank you.

Good luck in the hospital. I know you won't see this 'til you get out, but at least you will know we were all thinking good thoughts about you while you were there.

elizabeth said...

Give em hell. See you when you get back.

Daniel, the Guy in the Desert said...

Bones sounds completely cool.
I hate getting blood taken. I usually wind up with some sadistic Master Sergeant, Nurse Ratchett type, who gouges around at a slow and leisurely pace, while telling me to syck it up and be a man, all the while with a nasty leer on her face.

Can you tell I don't like bloodletting?

GayProf said...

Good luck with the hospital stay. We'll be waiting for your return.

DaisyDeadhead said...

Good luck! Saying prayers, doing novenas, waving various talismans about, lighting candles, chanting... all my best to you!

Donimo said...

I hope your hospital stay isn't too grim. Not a fun place, but there can be some good people within its walls. May the docs and nurses be real, live HUMAN BEINGS, full of compassion and understanding.

How come I've never heard of Bones? I'll check it out for sure.

Elizabeth McClung said...

Ug----back!

I actually started using sign language while they had the anesthetic mask on me. And the nurses were going, "That's so pretty, I wish I knew sign"

What I was signing was: I'M AWAKE!!!!! PLEASE DON'T START!

Then I finally felt the right gas come in and I signed (with one hand as the other was tied down): here we go 10, 9, 8 (I got to 1 and then started counting up again before I passed out).

By the by, the "baby sized butterfly" they used on Thursday to get blood left a bruise the size of a silver dollar - which apparently Linda was questioned about as some sort of blood clotting/spousal abuse question while I was out.

Ms. Pet said...

Hospitals suck. I hate them myself. HOpe they at least figure a few things out. You are in my heart.

I like Bones. I don't have cable so I don't get it all the time, but now that I know she has some similiar disability related things as I do, I'm going to rent the dvds. I dont have, Aspergers, but there is much overlap symptom/issues wise with NVLD/Aspergers/Autism/ADHD. Issues surrounding social situations, unable to participate in group dynamics, etc. being able to "read," social cues being some of them.

Hope the tests aren't too painful and that your back up and writing soon!

lilwatchergirl said...

'Bones' is cool. I wish I'd seen more of the episodes. Maybe it's 'buy an entire season on DVD and watch it obsessively over fifteen straight hours' time again...

Hope the hospital was OK.

John C. Hathaway said...

If "Bones" doesn't have Asperger's, nobody does. I really can't stand these gory mysteries these days, but I watch Bones (and House) because I identify so strongly with the lead character.