Tuesday, August 15, 2006

This day, this year, this life; Linda choses me!

Thirteen years ago today, Linda and I promised ourselves to each other. We were young, innocent and only knew that being apart was making us crazy. I flew to her small town and we packed her car with her grandmother’s quilts, her flute and anything we could fit in there. It was exciting, very intoxicating sitting next to each other in the car and knowing this was the start of our new life together. We stopped in tiny Montana town at 2:00 am to play on the school ground swings, then giddy with each other, immediately drove off the road and threw a pound of gravel into the engine. When our fan belt broke two States later the mechanic opened up the hood and there was gravel still scattered on top of the engine. What a giant sigh and look we got from him.

We were romantic, impetuous, and couldn’t figure out why couples fought. Then we fought, and fell in love all over again. One night, when we were first seeing each other, she wanted to show me the lakeside in moonlight. The mosquitoes ate me alive. Coming back, the moonlight behind her, she was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I was terrified because I couldn’t control how I felt about her. This is how I was introduced to love.

Well, it is thirteen years later and to most people I’m just one in that odd animal “BethandLinda” who through we look total different are for some reason indistinguishable. “You’re B…B…L…oh I never know which is which.” I can’t say I’m sorry. I still not sure what love is exactly, but everyone thinks we’ve got it. Even Christians and relatives who want to believe that we’ll break up because we’re not “normal”, have to remove themselves from seeing us, citing as a curse, “It’s not right, but you obviously love each other.” We do? Guess so. I like being around Linda, even when I don’t like being around humans (they are as a species often disappointing). I like hearing her voice, I like her smile, I even like to watch her sleep (until I whisper “roll over, you’re snoring!”) I don’t know if I believe in the love of God, but if I do it is only because I have known the love of Linda (Oh, the Pastor’s go insane when I say that).


We wake every morning knowing that there is nothing keeping us together except wanting to be together. We don’t have a pet, or a car, or a house. We don’t have people expecting us to stay together, oddly, after all this time, we still have quite a few who want us to break apart (Linda still gets offers to “come back home if things don’t work out”). We know we could have a bad day; that we could say things to hurt the other (and some days we do). And yet here we are. In all my life, my claim to greatness is this; I knew and loved one person who made me a better person than I could be on my own.

Happy Anniversary Linda.

15 comments:

Karen said...

awww! Congrats ladies!

Cap'n Dyke said...

Joyeux Anniversaire, Mes Petites! How frickin' wonderful! I drink me grog t' th'wonderful Lady Elizabeth an' her Princess Linda! HUZZAH!

Yoga Korunta said...

Happy Anniversary, Elizabeth and Linda! I'm very happy for you!

Sober @ Sundown said...

You are so lucky to keep your love alive. I wish the best for both of you. Congratulations.

Wiccachicky said...

Such a beautiful post. You are very lucky to have such a rare love like that. Enjoy your day!

Murray said...

What a wonderful post - Congrats to both of you

Tim said...

Well I hope you're pleased with yourself, I'm at work and you got me all teary and choked up. I don't mind though, really. I love tearful joy that comes with true love. I'm just a sucker for it.

Happy 13th to you both. I wish you another thirteen to follow, then another, and another, and another...

GayProf said...

What a nice post! Congrats on thirteen years.

I am assuming “flute” was a euphemism for something else.

The Watcher said...

May you drown in each other's eyes for millenia. See, world, there is hope...

kathz said...

Ever so many congratulations to both of you. Happy Anniversary! Have a wonderful celebration today and a marvellous lifetime together.

Elizabeth McClung said...

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, I know anniversaries can be a touchy subject (cause relationships can hurt too) - we feel just fortunate to have found each other and that it is still working 13 years later: As Linda said "Here's to many more decades" (I tend not to think that far in advance)

elizabeth said...

You are very lucky - and congrats to both of you. I hope I find this one day but if I don't I'm glad to know there is someone who did - and who knew it.

Anonymous said...

happy anniversay to both of you ladies!

kathy wc

EL said...

Happy anniversary. That's beautiful, what you wrote.

Daniel, the Guy in the Desert said...

What a beautiful expression of two person's love for one another.
Congratulations and many happy returns.