Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Screw Bronze hits 100! Elizabeth gets cookies!

We’ve reached 100 posts. Who, besides friends, family & co-workers knew I could be so vain? I think this blog was supposed to be talking about my book Zed. It got a lot of good reviews and one speculate-on my-possible-suicide negative review; also won first place in the Washington DC book of year awards for Science Fiction. I did not get shortlisted for Canada’s Relit Award, though I am currently waiting for the Victoria Bulter Book Award Shortlist and the Sunburst Awards (Canadian Science Fiction). I do not think I will win. Books that get shortlisted or win these awards are set in small or distinctive Canadian towns with distinctive Canadian characters.

I did however get interviewed about being a writer for the local lower mainland paper. I made it up to the ranking 4,000 in Canada and 72,000 in the US based on Amazon book ranking. And the Victoria and Vancouver libraries are going into their 8th straight month of my book having a hold queue of people waiting to read it. On fame level, this puts me up there with local “colourful” characters who streak during folk festivals. From the Vicnews article:

“I started writing when I was 16. I just thought it would be a wonderful and glamorous occupation. Boy was I wrong on that one.”...McClung ended up writing five novels before Zed was finally published, something that would deter any writer from their craft. “I was getting really discouraged, but I read some story about a guy who had written seven unpublished novels then he won the Pulitzer Prize. But obviously when you get up to five it does get hard.”

I am still working on my next novel, Control Group. So far the only part I am somewhat happy with is page 1, which you can see here. But then yesterday I read Involuntary Witness by Carofiglio whose first seven chapters were so brilliant that I will likely end up rewriting my book again. All I want is to write better than anyone living or dead, is that too much to ask?

On Monday at Epee fencing, after hearing about my heart, Gerald said to me, “Elizabeth, you have to realize, you aren’t going to be an Olympic athlete.” I looked puzzled, “Wha?”

He tried again, “Maybe this would be a good time to re-evaluate your goals and how competitive you need to be.”

“I don’t need to go to the Olympics,” I told him, “I just want to beat the World Champion.” I went on to lose EVERY bout that night.

The next morning I got up from the computer and almost made it to the hallway before I went down clutching my chest, “Shit, Shit!” Lying on the ground, “Shit!” I count my heartbeats. Apparently my heart thinks 160-180 is a good resting heart rate. Pain goes down, Beth gets up, momentarily wonders if she should consider beta blockers, then remembers she has COOKIES and wanders off to the kitchen.

Linda arrives home where I have been cleaning the apartment for some time while muttering, “Disorder and confusion.” We had somehow “lost” three months of internet bills and yesterday they cut us off. The pain of “phantom internet limb syndrome” sent me into a tizzy. Tizzy’s are like roulette: I might get naked, I might hide under the covers with the laptop and watch anime or I might mutter to myself and clean. This time it was cleaning. But we call up internet priests, sacrifice a goat and presto, I am back online! (Those internet gods really like smoked goat).

Goals for the next 100 blog entries? 1) finish and submit my novel Control Group. 2) Have another woman try to pick me up using a line about “aren’t you on America’s top models?” and not self destruct this time 3) Keep talking about the things that society tries to hide in silence (like suicide, hate crimes & incest). 4) Read more Yu+me and I was Kidnapped by Lesbian Pirates from Outer Space. 5) Avoid getting imprisoned for lewd or lascivious behavior.

It’s good to dream.

jpeg 1- http://www.wednesdaymourning.com/foyer.html
Jpeg 2 - http://cache.boston.com/bonzaifba/Original_Photo/2005/06/20/1119280934_8953.jpg

8 comments:

elizabeth said...

Cheers. It's been a great 100 reads. Here's to the next!

The Watcher said...

Lesbian Pirates from Outer Space?

I have a nice mansion that is much more comfy for captives.

Sober @ Sundown said...

Congratulations on your 100th post...... That is quite impressive.

Anonymous said...

Avoiding prison is always a good goal in my opinion.

Congrats on #100!

kathy wc

Woody Cavenaugh said...

Five novels and 100 blog entries? I think I like your way better than mine.

Elizabeth McClung said...

On to the next 100 - and world domination and finishing the darn book - thanks for reading (and commenting) - I am not sure what type of mixed up souls like moving from me talking about getting naked to HIV national abuse to muses about vibrators, stories about sucky jobs to research pieces on feminism or LGBT issues - I know I do - so that's one!

funchilde said...

"All I want is to write better than anyone living or dead, is that too much to ask?"absolutely not!

congrats on the great reviews. tell william to take a flying fuck at a rolling donut (it was him that said you won't be an olympic athlete?).

Dream Big. And share.the.cookies.

The Writer said...

Congratulations! 100 posts...wow. Great reads!

Here's to Screw Bronze (and not being incarcerated!)