Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Zed: Book of the Year or just roadkill?

The results of the March 2006 short lists for the ForeWord Book of the Year award have been announced. My book, Zed, was one of fourteen in the category Science Fiction (urban decaying hell is now science fiction?). And in keeping with the title of this blog SCREW BRONZE! Because....I won Gold. In fact Zed was the only Canadian book to win Gold. There is a news story in Canada's book magazine, Quill and Quire. Huzzah! I lead the nation. It is a nation small in numbers admittedly, but we are very prolific writers. Sadly, I did not get the editor’s choice for the best of the hundreds of books on the long list so I do not get the prize of $1,500 (Curses!)

The prizes for each category are selected by booksellers and librarians; the people who are caretakers of getting good books into the hands of the people who want them. Winning was a double surprise because Zed is STILL not available in the US; I checked with Borders this morning and they are expecting the book within a week or two. For online purchase I recommend getting TWO copies at Amazon.com in order to get free shipping (one for you and one to give to your mother to scare her about what you could be doing if you were a writer) or the current lowest price is at Buy.com (doesn’t include shipping). If you want a good read, read Zed, the people who love books enough to make it their career just gave it a gold star (and when you finish, write me about what you think of it – preferably in crayon with spelling mistakes and a dead animal enclosed).

12 comments:

William said...

Wow - Good job!

Hope the Seattle trip was good, and that a few people other than us VFC fencers took some bruises away from their bouts with you. ;)

And, since you probably didn't know, Amanda came away with a Silver in the National Juniors!
(http://fencing.ca/results/2006natls/ef_jr_results.htm)

And also got 16th in the Seniors. She got to fence Sherraine MacKay twice, as well.

elizabeth said...

AWESOME! That's not a bad birthday gift, is it?
(careful what you wish for - lots of roadkill nearby lol)

Moncrief Speaks said...

Congratulations!

piecesofeight said...

I've been looking on the net- how can I get this book? (I'm in the UK)

Elizabeth McClung said...

It does have a UK distributor and is available on Amazon.co.uk at http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1551521970/qid=1148582358/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_0_3/026-0270367-7694808 - however it looks like it hasn't reached the UK yet. If you send me your UK address in an email (go to profiles) I will try and find some copies and then send you one - who am I to deny the book to someone who wants to read it?

GayProf said...

Good for you! You earned it, I am sure!

Karen said...

You. Are. Awesome.

kathz said...

Congratulations! (in haste)

NOTHING said...

wow thats awsome good job, i want to get a copy, i live in the us tho, agen good job

im actually trying to write my own novel, i dont think ill end up going any were with it, im just writing it for the fun of it

kathz said...

I tried to look it up on Amazon UK but it showed up as unavailable. I've e-mailed my brother in Canada to see if he can locate it - he's some way north of Ottawa if you're aware of any bookstores selling it in that region.

funchilde said...

congrats chica! nice subtle "selling" technique too. what a great way to end May!

The Watcher said...

'Zed' ordered; Cap'n tappin' foot impatiently on deck until it's released.

Screw Bronze should be changed t'Pure Gold!

Felicitations!