Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Sex in Government offices & horny teenagers

The homophobia workshop went well. But, as those who came said, it’s too bad the people who really could have used it didn’t come. But like racism, the people who are racist either don’t think they are, or aren’t going to come to a workshop on ending racism. Some of the better moments included when I was talking how with some people everyone just “knows” they are gay, like my female friend, whose partner even says she’s got a big D on her forehead. Half the audience laughed right away, and when a woman asked with a puzzled face, “Is her name Darlene?” they laughed harder (someone whispered to her: “Dyke” – ahhh!). Later I’m saying, “I’m not supposed to talk about this because C. told me that....there’s no sex in government offices.” Everyone cracked up and one of the gay guys shouted, “She’s new, she hasn’t found it yet!”

Keeping with the diversity theme, here are some different online comics you might want to give a try. Shonen-Ai Kudasai, is a comic about two gay guys written and drawn by two lesbians. It has some good moments, but tends a little toward the cute and loving side (only with me is that a complaint instead of a compliment). A comic which has me hooked from strip one is Upheaval. It’s about an older brother moving back to his hometown to find out that not only is his sister a lesbian, but, you know how his girlfriend Rachel, dumped him a couple years ago for "someone else"... Oh yeah. I can’t wait to see where these tangled webs go.

One of the popular and mature themed comics is Chugworth Academy, with bisexual women, some gay guys and a bunch of straight (and horny) teenagers, including my alter-ego, the slightly goth, wannabe rebel, Chloe. I’d like to say I’ve never had an experience like the strip Piercings, but I’d be lying. Chugworth Academy's brutally honest, yet funny portrayal of “first time” heterosexual sex is something I would put above my desk if I was a school guidance counselor (That should tell you something about not hiring me as a guidance counselor).

Got to go. The library has just emailed me to say that season 2 of the L-word is ready for picking up. I’m not sure why I am getting it as the only two people I can stand are the straight woman and Shane, the “butch” one. As for the irritating bisexual/lesbian writer woman; I keep trying to kill her by voodoo doll. But as my goth heroine Germaine points out, that’s a lot harder than it looks. After watching season two, I may be redoubling my efforts (Linda would tell me....Beth, it's fiction, she's not real; but we all know that's not true, if she wasn't real, she wouldn't be talking to me through the screen).

6 comments:

Elizabeth McClung said...

Just to let you know, I am sorry about having to add word verifier to comments but I get hit with 50+ spam messages yesterday through the whole blog. Sorry.

funchilde said...

again i have to say i don't know why but you crack my shit up!

and it is okay about the word verifier. everyone else is doing it.

elizabeth said...

Another favulous read. (the v just works in place of so many letters I'm finding)

Elizabeth McClung said...

thanks - as long as the writing works - I'll stay off the meds - doctors be darned!

You really do have to click on the chugworth Academy links for "Portrayal" about heterosexual sex - my favorite part: "But I got the bus home cos he said I was SO good, he was too tired to drive me home." - ahh young love.

mrkgnao said...

I'm embarrassingly addicted to the L Word - in a sort of watching a car crash kind of way. Shane is, indeed, delightfully hot. And Kit, in her straightness, also the same. The others annoy me though. But ... I ... still ... can't ... stop ... watching ... Season 2 doesn't come out 'til September here. *gnashes teeth and wails*

elizabeth said...

Oh I clicked - on all the links. The only one I was familiar with previously was our little goth and her pet.... what is that - a squirrel? Anyways - love the Starbucks one... (Still can't figure out who overheard my conversation back then. Just kidding.)