Thursday, March 02, 2006

Update on Zed and your public library

The interest/sales of Zed are very up and down. On Thursday, Feb 23rd at 6:00 pm I attained 1,654 in the Amazon.ca Canadian book sales rankings. This put my book ahead of such classics as A Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood and Fifth Business by Robertson Davies. Once I had hoped of cracking the top 10,000 and now dreams of being within the top 1000 best selling fiction books on Amazon.ca were quickly fermenting.

Well, like many things that ferment, my dreams started to explode under the stairs like poorly stored home-made root beer. I have been slowly falling in the rankings since then and now reside back around/below 18,000 again. And the book’s availability continues to cycle through available in 1-3 months, 4-8 days, unavailable and back to 2-6 weeks.

The Victoria public library currently has one copy with twelve holds on it and is ordering two more copies of the book. The Vancouver public library has one copy with eleven holds. I haven’t found any other Canadian libraries with copies. So people have seen the reviews and decided to read the book...just not commit to owning it. I must now depend on the impatience of library readers to boost my sales. Also, if anyone out there has read the book without being paid to do so, please let me know.

The book isn’t coming out until May in the United States which means I need to come up with a plan on a) how to get more libraries to buy the book across Canada and b) get more newspapers, bloggers, or other sources within Canada to review the book until the US reviews start up.

Why all the effort? Is it because this book that will help people or bring communities together? No. But it does speak for a group of people who almost never get to speak: those for whom survival is success.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your rootbeer metaphore! So graphic I can smell it.

Here's hoping the people on the library waiting lists are impatient and will buy their own copy instead.